PDA

View Full Version : PSI tools and equipment

Phil Labowski
06-30-2009, 9:08 AM
okay, our shop has a link to a set of 8 PSI HSS chisels. I've also seen a PSI lathe on Amazon that got some mixed reviews. I was looking for some input as to the quality of their stuff, because I'm looking to get into turning and we have some budgetary concerns:). I also want to get a nice quality bowl gouge as a plan on turning mostly bowls. I like the look of the Henry Taylor 3/8" Kryo bowl gouge.
Thanks in advance.

robert hainstock
06-30-2009, 9:31 AM
I too have budget concerns, and have used many PSI turning accessories. They are very useful and durable. The only tools of thiers that I am knowledgeble of is thier Benjaman's best line. These are very useful, and durable IMHO. They do not however have the glitz and glamor or high prices of other suppliers. Good luck on your choice. :)
Bob

Ralph Lindberg
06-30-2009, 9:32 AM
I assume you are talking about the Benjamin's Best line.

Alan Lacer did a metalurgy survey of tools last year, in that he found that BB, sold by PSI, were M2, but just. He also found that BB sold by some other vendors was not.

I have quite a lot of BB tools, a bowl set, a bunch-o-scrapers and a giant 2 inch SRG.

All cut like they are M2 HSS. The edge certainly doesn't last as long as the "best" tools I have bought, but they also didn't cost like it.

My opinion. If you are learning to sharpen tools, learning on a set of "cheaper" tools, then say a set of V10's that cost several times more (and last several times as long).

My opinion, it's better to waste cheap steel, learning to sharpen, then expensive steel.

If you know what you are doing, it might be another question.

Alan Trout
06-30-2009, 9:40 AM
Phil,

my pen lathe is the PSI VS Turncrafter Pro. It is a pretty good little lathe. To me it works every bit as well as the Jet's that I have used. I use mine for pens but have also turned small bowls and other small items. On a tight budget these lathes are a good value. However right now I noticed that my local Woodcraft Also has the Rikon mini/midi on sale for $259 and it has a 12" swing. I have used them and they are also a nice little lathe and at the sale price I would say that it is also a very good value.

I have a couple of the PSI tools. It is not the best steel but they still work well. They just don't hold their edge as well as some. But for the cost overall a good value.

Good Luck

Alan

David Hostetler
06-30-2009, 9:45 AM
I have the 8 Piece HSS PSI lathe tool set that comes in that ridiculous box. (finger joints completely lacking glue!). Other than the box, which they really should leave out because it makes the whole set look bad, they are great tools for the money. They certainly aren't Sorby's, but then again, your wallet will figure that out pretty quickly too!

Rumor has it the HSS set at Harbor Freight is the same set too. I think like $10.00 cheaper...

Learning to sharpen on these is a no brainer. More expensive tools I would be a LOT more concerned about though...

Phil Labowski
06-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty new to sharpening too. I used to sharpen drill bit all the time, but it's been awhile and wasn't on a grinder either.

Bernie Weishapl
06-30-2009, 1:56 PM
I have a lot of PSI tools and found they are good tools for the money. I still use most of them.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-30-2009, 4:37 PM
I have their bowl scraper set, and I think it's a pretty good deal. I have no complaints. It's nowhere near my Sorbys, but neither is the price. You get what you pay for.

David Drickhamer
07-01-2009, 12:29 AM
I started with and still use several PSI tools. For a good quality bowl gouge I'm recommend checking out http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/
Dave

Rusty Smith
07-01-2009, 1:17 PM
I started with the Turncrafter Pro VS. It is a nice little lathe. No major problems with it. I bought the pen turners tool set and I would not recommend it. For one they are too short for anything else and you cannot use the Wolverine sharpening jig to sharpen, also because they are too short

The best bowl gouge I have used is the 3/8" Crown powered metal one sold by Woodcraft. Very well balanced and holds a great edge. I do not like the Wood River bowl gouge that they sell. The price of the Crown, to me, is a very good value.