PDA

View Full Version : Gluing Gaboon Ebony

Peter Bell
06-30-2009, 1:03 AM
I recently purchased a small sample piece 1-1/2 inch x 1-1/2inch by 12 inch length of Gaboon Ebony which my daughter bought back from L.A. for me.

I wanted to try to use some in some hand tools such as awls and marking knife and maybe a pen. My idea is to just use a small bit and end grain join it to some other timber just to jazz up the awl etc.

My question is because the ebony is so closely grained what is the best method of end grain joining it. I used some white PVC glue and tried to separate it as a test. it did come apart at the glue line, not tearing the ebony end which would normally happen with most other timbers where the glue is stronger then the wood.

In this case, the glue failed, mostly I suspect because the end grain is so hard that no glue could penetrate into it too far. Because when I turn the square section down in the awl to about 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch round there is not much room to put a small dowel or pin between both ends to be joined.

What attachment is recommended both for small areas and also for larger pieces if I want to make some jewelry boxes.

Peter

Mike Henderson
06-30-2009, 1:42 AM
You can get around the end grain problem on the ebony by just turning the ebony 90* - that is, don't end grain glue it, face grain glue it. Ebony is so dark and close grained you won't be able to tell that end grain is on the show face. It'll just look all black.

The problem of end grain on the other piece of wood is more of a problem. The best way to attach the two pieces would be with a small dowel but you say it's too small. A picture would help us understand the situation and be able to give you better advice.

Mike

Peter Bell
06-30-2009, 4:44 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I did not think about not using the end grain on the ebony. As far as the other wood it is joined to I do not seem to have a problem with the woods I use.

I will now look to see if I can find a small enough diameter wooden dowel or I may have to use a metal pin which will be stronger. The best way to explain what I am attempting is joining two pieces of wood like segmenting and turning it down like making a pen.

My idea is to have a marking gauge or awl with the brass end where the knife goes ebony to put some bling into it. Ebony is not used a lot here, maybe because of the cost. I would like to also use some pink ivory, but sight unseen, I am not sure what I might get as I hear that the colour varies from a reddish brown to a nice pink.

ps.

Mike,

Next time you are in at Woodcraft would you be able to look out for a Pink Ivory blank 1-1/2 inch by 1-1/2 inch by 12 inches long and give it to Ingko to go with my next order. I am sure between the two of you the selection will be ok.

Peter.

David Keller NC
06-30-2009, 9:22 AM
Peter - no end-grain to end grain joint is going to be very stron, no matter what the wood is. What I've seen before is tool handles with an ebony finial on the end - the gentleman that made it told me he'd turned a small tenon on the end of the ebony piece, and glued it into a drilled hole in the rest of the handle (which was boxwood).

I've worked with gabon ebony quite a bit, and it will glue very well with Titebond II or Titebond III if you will clean off the glue surfaces with a bit of laquer thinner or acetone. It will also readily bond with epoxy.