PDA

View Full Version : Offical Gloat and Home of Future Shop

Scott Coffelt
08-27-2004, 6:36 PM
I mentioned this in the weekend accomplishments, but here is the official gloat. The weather finally has allowed me to take a shot int he sunshine. We signed a contract for the 2 acre lot last weekend. Now we have to meet with architechs to identify a house plan and design shop. The size will depend on the budget and city regulations, but leaning towards 28x36, fall back will be 24x36. It has to match the house which means stucco, so that will add some costs. So with any luck within a year I will be able to move out of 324sqft to something more spacious. This will also make my furniture business a little easier, as today I have to limit the number of pieces and sizes at any given time. The lot is completely treed and has a creek running through the middle (front to back), so essentially half the space will have to remain treed even if we didn't want too... which we wouldn't anyways. I'll keep things posted as we go, but this the first step.

Joe Mioux
08-27-2004, 6:41 PM
Congrats Scott:

Looks like a nice piece of property. If your weather is anything like our weather is (near STL) today, I hope you plan for some AC!

Joe

Chris Padilla
08-27-2004, 6:41 PM
Wow!! Clap, clap, clap!! A big congrats, Scott! How do you feel?

Any feel if the shop will be attached to the house or separate or something? How big a house are you gunning for?

Good luck getting the biggest, freakin' shop you can muster and the city will allow. Will you need to move far?

Again, SWEET! I look forward to the day when I can do such a thing but I bet it'll be a long, long time. Probably won't be any land left when I'm ready! LOL!

Hey, I wanna see the plot when I'm out there! Possible? :D

William Hall
08-27-2004, 6:42 PM
Congratulations on getting a new detached house from your work Shop.

William

Ken Garlock
08-27-2004, 7:11 PM
Congratulations on the first step toward a new home, Scott :cool: I know you will have fun building the new house, we did. The best part is you will have what you want, not what some else thinks you want.

Regarding the shop size, figure what you need and then up the dimensions by about 25%. Don't forget the 10 ft ceilings. :)

The creek sounds really cool :cool:

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-27-2004, 7:16 PM
Nice looking piece of land Scott. Sounds like a wonderful spot for a new home and shop. I look forward to seeing the progress of your new digs.

Hi Joe, good to see a "neighbor" here! I am in Troy, just down the road from Carlyle. How 'bout this weather, huh? I liked the August of a couple of weeks ago better! Humidity you can cut with a knife................Ah, St. Louis in the summer..................thunderstorms and Humid.........YUCK! ;)

Greg Tatum
08-27-2004, 7:40 PM
Congratulations Scott....My wife and I are looking to buy some land and build a larger house to expand our business....keep us posted on all the trials and tribulations of the proccess....by the way, will you be able to use any of the trees for future milling or turning?
Greg

Dennis Peacock
08-27-2004, 8:04 PM
Congrats Scott.!!!!! Nice to see ya find a nice piece of property. Now...you just need to build that shop FIRST and then the house.!!! :p :D

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2004, 12:06 AM
Congrats Scott!

Tyler Howell
08-28-2004, 9:09 AM
Congrats Scott!

Anything worth "Stickin & Stackin" back there on your lot. Always great to find hidden treasures.
Enjoy!;)

Rich Konopka
08-28-2004, 9:47 AM
Confratulations Scott !!

Try to incorporate a nice view of the creek from the shop !!

Terry Hatfield
08-28-2004, 9:49 AM
Scott,

COOL!!!!

t

Scott Coffelt
08-28-2004, 10:20 AM
We're working on the house plans right now, we're leaning towards a reverse story & a half. The minimum sq footage for the main floor must be 2200 sq ft, so it will probably be in the neighborhood of 2400 sqft up and 16-1800 down (may try and finish the basement off later to save upfront $'s. The shop will be detached, though I am looking at the possibility of a covered walkway. Yes, there will be AC window unit and an in-wall 240V heater. No bathroom or sink as we are going to be on septic and the runs will be too long. I'll try and put a utility sink in the garage.

Trees, I've not looked at them close enough yet, but I will try and keep all the big ones, it's hard to see on the pic but I have some 40-50 ft tall trees on there. I'll lose most of the trees in the pic up front, but then thin out the underbrush and smaller trees for the house, garage and yard area. Anything worth saving will get cut and stacked for future turnings.

Yeah, we're pretty stoked, I wish the shop could come first but the development rules will not allow for that, so they will be built at the same time. My plan is to have the exterior built on the garage and then wire, rock and finish myself. Again, maximizing my up front investment. Besides, I want to play a part in building my shop. I'll need to have the shop someone operational when we get to the inside of the house as I will be building my own kitchen and bathroom cabinets. I do foresee a Festool or EZ Guide system in the future :rolleyes: .

Jack Diemer
08-28-2004, 11:37 AM
I am actually stoked for Scott. He looked for almost a year, and its wasn't until he finally gave up looking, that the perfect property fell in his lap.

I can't wait to help Scott spend all kinds of money upgrading to bigger tools for his bigger shop. I am thinking that Scott should start out by joining the Minimax club and go from there. (for those who don't know, Scott got me into this whole woodworking hobby and has been spending my money ever since)

Scott Coffelt
08-28-2004, 2:01 PM
You learn well grass hopper.....

Dennis Peacock
08-28-2004, 4:36 PM
So Jack.....When are you moving next door to Scott? ;) You two could make a go of a joint ww shop and grow the bidness together.!!! :D

Jerry Olexa
08-28-2004, 5:13 PM
Congrats to you!! Its always exciting to see the land in its raw state before you add your adjustments. Take pix NOW as the project developes. You'll treasure them later.