PDA

View Full Version : a few new turnings

Terry Achey
06-29-2009, 10:43 PM
I was inspired to try some new turnings based on recent work posted on the "Creek". You folks are my greatest source of ideas and advice. Thanks!

Salt and pepper are both grinders made from sycamore (walnut top on pepper)
Tall grinder is hard maple with walnut and purpleheart celtic knot.
bottle stopper is yellowheart with purpleheart knot.
Fun projects. Hopefully learned enough this time to do a little better next time ;).

Terry

Bernie Weishapl
06-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Looks to me like you did pretty good with these. Great looking projects. I like the first mill.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Great mills and stoppers! I need to try some of those Celtic knots!

Steve Schlumpf
06-30-2009, 12:03 AM
Terry - nice work on everything! The salt & pepper grinders really stand out to me! Very nice set!

Glad to hear you are having fun turning! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Terry Achey
06-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks guys. The knots are easy enough to make, Ken. The tricky part is clamping them carefully enough that the laminates ultimately line up perfectly at the end of the four day cut & glue up. I hope to do better next time with the alignment. I think I'll also try adding a thin veneer edge border along with the accent wood.

Terry

Joe Aliperti
06-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Great work!

Here's a tip for making the glue-ups easy:

If you are cutting the Celtic knots on the table saw, try lowering the blade slightly, so that it doesn't cut all the way through the stock. That really simplifies the clamping process.

Terry Achey
06-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks, Joe. Actually, some of your work was my inspiration. I tried sawing the way you mentioned on the yellowheart piece. Unfortunately, my 1/8" laminate piece was slightly thicker than my saw kerf. When I clamped it it actually "sprung" the wood fibers at the point that wasn't cut through.

Good tip. Next time I'll be sure to use laminate pieces the same dimension as the saw kerf. I just used pieces that happened to be on the shelf. Thanks again for the inspiration and the tip.

Terry

Brian George
07-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Terry,

Great looking turns.

What angle did you use on the pepper mill?

Brian George
07-01-2009, 10:38 AM
I got some KD walnut from a sawyer I swapped pens for and the thickness varies. Therefore I had to make a jig of shelve laminate to clamp the blanks and it works great. Any dried squeeze out pops right off the melamine surface easily.

Terry Achey
07-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Good idea about the jig, Brian. I used a 32 degree angle. But, next time I would use about 15 dgrees for the tall, thicker mill in order to make the knot narrower. At 32 degrees it looks a little too much "atomic" for me :D.

Terry