PDA

View Full Version : Callin' 'em Done..... "The Heritage Set".....

Ed Sallee
06-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Ya'all are probably tired of lookin' at these boxes.... I've had several posts along the way during the construction....

So.... after 12 coats of Behlen's Stringed Instrument Lacquer and the picture of my grand nephew, Jayce, securely mounted in the lid.... flocking dried... I'm going to call these done. I should rub them down in a week or, maybe two with some rubbing compound.... but, they look pretty shiny as it is...

And... I made the mistake of bringing them in the house..... sort of hard to take them back to the shop....

Bubinga, Cocobolo, Bird's Eye Maple & a touch of Ebony....

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/2009%20Project%2011/DSC08696.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/2009%20Project%2011/DSC08707.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/2009%20Project%2011/DSC08698.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/2009%20Project%2011/DSC08718.jpg

David Christopher
06-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Ed, those are very nice...great job on the finish

Craig T. Smith
06-30-2009, 4:46 AM
Ed, Beeeutiful! The big box looks great. I really like how the small boxes with the canted splines turned out, Kinda Japanese. Great work. Craig P.S really like the finish also

John Keeton
06-30-2009, 6:49 AM
Definitely worth the effort!! Ed, the finish really adds a depth and patina to these. Seems like the angled splines don't look out of place now. Don't know whether it is the finish, having all of them together, or whether they have just "grown" on me!

Really a nice project, and hopefully, the beginning of a new endeavor - Ed's "Handcrafted Wedding Heritage Sets." "Box up those memories of that special day, and enjoy them for a lifetime!!"

Jeff Mohr
06-30-2009, 8:02 AM
As always Ed, looking good!

Joe Cunningham
06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
They turned out great Ed. If I recall you have a SSmith...if so, how do you miter the edges? My SS makes it close to impossible because of the tilting table.

I like box making and am considering turning a few out for craftshows and church donations, but find the mitering to be the biggest difficulty. For other furniture I do almost 100% hand work, so really don't have a need for a true table saw.

Ed Sallee
06-30-2009, 10:21 AM
I do have a shopsmith..... but, I don't use it as a tablesaw. I mostly use it for the disc sanding, drill press, bandsaw functions...... I cut the miters on my DW746 Dewalt TS using the Incra 1000SE - but, i stripped the fancy stuff off that miter gauge a long time ago and use a sacraficial piece of maple as an auxilliary face.... Gives the support I like to prevent tear out....

Thanks for all the support ya'all give.....

John Thompson
06-30-2009, 1:16 PM
Nice job Boxman... those turned out great but... but... they looked much better with the two rubber bands around them. ;) I bet your wife likes the "rubber band" look also as I have an inside source.

For any of you that think I have gone nuts.. well I did years ago actually. The rubber band thing is an inside joke with my neighbor Ed.

Sarge..

Ed Sallee
06-30-2009, 2:04 PM
OK, Sarge.... Now I'll have to explain.....

I threw together another little scrap box out of Rosewood.... 5 x 3 1/8.... the lid still needs to be decided...

Anyways... I had this thing in my hand and it still had two rubber bands, about an inch wide, holding it all together....

Well, my wife saw it and loved it... She took it from my hand and then she realized the rubber bands were just that.... rubber bands. I had to explain, "no darlin'... I didn't put any fancy wood to make it striped....."

Anyways.... Sarge & I got a kick out of that little conversation....

Moral of the story.... keep it in the shop until it's done.

Jack Camillo
06-30-2009, 6:16 PM
Very nice, Ed. An inspiration indeed. Thanks for posting. Stringed instrument lacquer, eh? Hmm, I'll have to look at that. I have a curly maple box about ready to finish. I was going to shellac it and then do a couple coats of wipe-on lacquer. What do you think?

Ed Sallee
06-30-2009, 6:39 PM
Thanks Jack.... Well, I have mostly only used lacquer....but it seems to go well over most anything.... and laying it over shellac should look pretty good... I was real pleased with the Stringed Instrument Lacquer.... I would recommend it to anybody. They also carry different flavors too... but, I can't remember what they were. I do remember that if my mind wasn't set on the stuff... I would have tried another one...

Can't wait to see your box!