PDA

View Full Version : Adviced need to refurbish a 14" band saw.

Edwin Bennett
06-29-2009, 9:49 PM
Recently I acquired two Delta/Rockwell 14" band saws (BS), model 890, manufactured in 1947 and in 1950. The saws are in good condition needing mostly new tires. I got one to give to my grandson, and I want to paint it before giving it to him. I am working on this BS.

To do a good paint job, I am disassembling the BS and cleaning off the years of grit, grime and grease. While I was in the process of taking the axle assembly out of the lower housing, I ecountered difficulties removing the assembly and cannot go any further. The driven pulley has been removed but not the14" wheel. It is threaded onto the axle very tightly.

So, before doing any more damage than I may have done already, I need epert advice about removing the axle assembly from the lower housing.
Thank you.
Edinmin

Dan McCallum
06-30-2009, 2:09 AM
Edwin,

Congrats! A couple of great finds. I suggest you check out the info at the owwm.org and owwm.com websites, they have a ton of info on restoring these machines.

Good luck!

Dan

Mark Versprille
06-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Edwin, When ou find out let me know I'm having exactly the same time with mine.

Edwin Bennett
07-07-2009, 2:02 PM
Mark,
I found some answers. I was able to get the low down on taking apart the drive axel, pulley and wheel from the bandsaw housing from the Dewalt Service Center. The procedure is as follows:
1. Remove set screw from pulley.
2. Using a pulley/wheel puller, remove the drive pulley from the shaft.
3. Remove the key embedded in the slot on the shaft.
3. Undo the lock nuts (2) from the axel on the pulley side and on the wheel side.
4. On the wheel side, remove the wheel using a puller.
5. Now you can slide the axel out of the bandsaw housing. It will have a bearing press fitted on the pulley end of the shaft, and the other bearing will remain in the lower housing of the bandsaw.

Bearings are expensive ~$40 ea. at the Dewalt Service Center. So be careful not to damage them if they do not need replacing. Unfortunatley, I have to replace one because it is worn. The bearings (2) are marked New Departure #87504 (20mm ID, 47mm OD, and 14mm width of race and 15mm overall width). New Departure is defunct so another source has to be located on the web.

Nate Bosscher
07-07-2009, 3:05 PM
McMaster (http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-and-roller-bearings/=2n7ypy) should have what you need for a lot cheaper.

Steve Vaughn
07-07-2009, 6:36 PM
Bearings are expensive ~$40 ea. at the Dewalt Service Center. So be careful not to damage them if they do not need replacing. Unfortunatley, I have to replace one because it is worn. The bearings (2) are marked New Departure #87504 (20mm ID, 47mm OD, and 14mm width of race and 15mm overall width). New Departure is defunct so another source has to be located on the web.

Call Lynn at Accurate Bearing. She comes highly recommended by the guys on OWWM. She can get you a direct replacement for older bearings.

http://www.accuratebearing.com/

Steve

Roy Wall
07-07-2009, 7:02 PM
Edwin,

Follow Steve's advice and call Accurate Bearing in Chicago area. Do ask for Lynne Scott. You will get these bearings much, much cheaper.

1-800-323-6548

Mark,
I found some answers. I was able to get the low down on taking apart the drive axel, pulley and wheel from the bandsaw housing from the Dewalt Service Center. The procedure is as follows:
1. Remove set screw from pulley.
2. Using a pulley/wheel puller, remove the drive pulley from the shaft.
3. Remove the key embedded in the slot on the shaft.
3. Undo the lock nuts (2) from the axel on the pulley side and on the wheel side.
4. On the wheel side, remove the wheel using a puller.
5. Now you can slide the axel out of the bandsaw housing. It will have a bearing press fitted on the pulley end of the shaft, and the other bearing will remain in the lower housing of the bandsaw.

Edwin Bennett
07-09-2009, 1:22 PM
Folks thanks for your help and suggestions for bearing sources. However, I was able to get a replacement bearing locally for about $17 which is reasonable.
Considering that the bandsaw had been manufactured in 1950, it is interesting that the nominal bearing dimensions are in integer metric units; i.e., 20mm ID, 47mm ID and 14mm width and not in inches. I thought US industry at that time used only inches and feet for units.