PDA

View Full Version : I hope I don't regret this chuck purchase....

David Hostetler
06-29-2009, 9:43 PM
I know I asked opinions, and the only bad thing I heard was that the bar cinching mechanism doesn't appear too popular... But I went ahead and put my hands on one...

I know what is he talking about right?

I can't seem to find the post now, but a couple of weeks ago, I asked if the Wood River self centering chuck was worth considering, and the responses came back pretty much saying it was a decent chuck, but the bar tightening mechanism seems to rub a LOT of folks the wrong way...

Well to be honest, I don't have a lot of extra cash right now, and REALLY wanted to try turning some bowls, and I have a LOT of ash, pin oak, and elm still from Hurricane Ike. So I dug out a couple of bowl blanks I cut up a while ago. (both 6" x 4" blanks) drilled the pilot for the screw chuck so I could cut the tenon and away I went, I thought...

Problem #1, and it is stupid user problem. When drilling for a 3/8" screw, do NOT use a 3/8" drill bit! (Boy smart like rock).
Problem #2. See problem #1, repeat...

Ever seen a bowl blank shoot off your lathe? It's not pretty...

So I get back to the pile of blanks, and find the center on another one, this one an 8x4, and screwed it on, make sure EVERYTHING was tight, and it was all good to go. Roughing went as expected, chunk chunk chunk chunk flying hunks of in the case of this blank, Pecan. Basic rough shape in place, switched to the spindle gouge, and cut the tenon, measured it up with my digital calipers right at 2" with a VERY slight inward taper.... Unscrew it, remove the screw center, chuck it up, tighten and grab the bowl gouge...

This time more of a shee-ick, shee-ick shee-ick sound as I worked my way deeper into the piece...

About 2" deep of the 3.5" depth planned, a weird popping noise, and the not completely roughed in bowl becomes about 3 pieces just about the middle...

Since I am new to this. Can someone maybe help me figure out what I did wrong? Is it the chuck? My method? Or just what the wood wanted to do?

Joseph M Lary
06-29-2009, 10:23 PM
I bought one a year ago ,it was called Pinnacle back then ,bought a smaller set of jaws 2 months ago, they came stamped woodriver ,call them they said it was the same . I have had no problems with it never had anything come out of the chuck, Oneway made a chuck just like it .this is a knock off to that one I would guess .Some day I will up grade but I would rather spend my money on tools right now.

Scott Conners
06-29-2009, 10:31 PM
If the blank exploded it's one of two things. Either you had a catch and it put enough stress on the wood to break it, or the wood already had cracks/weaknesses and you just released them. Most likely it's a combination, if not a catch then just the stresses you relieve and apply when turning. For learning make sure your blanks aren't already cracked and aren't big gnarly pieces with bark inclusions or crotches or anything weird.

Pictures of the aftermath would help, but the noise you're describing was probably you cutting your way into a crack, and when you got deep enough there wasn't enough wood to hold the bowl together.

David Hostetler
06-29-2009, 11:00 PM
If the blank exploded it's one of two things. Either you had a catch and it put enough stress on the wood to break it, or the wood already had cracks/weaknesses and you just released them. Most likely it's a combination, if not a catch then just the stresses you relieve and apply when turning. For learning make sure your blanks aren't already cracked and aren't big gnarly pieces with bark inclusions or crotches or anything weird.

Pictures of the aftermath would help, but the noise you're describing was probably you cutting your way into a crack, and when you got deep enough there wasn't enough wood to hold the bowl together.

Okay the blank was crotch wood, and I looked at its mirror and sure enough, there are 2 fissures in the wood...

I spun another one, a hunk of clear cedar that was given to me. I did NOT use the screw insert, but rather screwed it to my faceplate, and ran the 5/8" screws into material I knew I was going to rough away anyway... This one is 4x4. It spun up fine.

I had no idea how much fine dust was being made though. I finished up, turned my fan / air cleaner on, and took the respirator off. Now I smell cedar...

I need something to catch the dust off the lathe.

Steve Schlumpf
06-30-2009, 12:17 AM
David - I have a Oneway Talon chuck and use the woodworm screw on just about everything. From what you described - it doesn't sound like there are any problems with your chuck - just the wood. A lot of the wood brought down by storms have stress cracks running all through them from the high winds. Really check the wood over before turning it. Also, as you have already experienced - sound is your friend when turning. If you hear a click click click while turning - stop - and find out what is causing it. Chances are it is a crack! Sometimes you can glue them and keep turning - other times it is safer to just start on another blank.

Best of luck with your bowls! They can be a lot of fun once you get past the beginning learning curve!

Chris Rae
06-30-2009, 12:44 AM
I have two Woodriver chucks and have had no problem with them at all. I agree with the others, probably stresses in the wood.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-30-2009, 1:40 AM
I had a bowl blank blow up on me.

It won't be your last. If it's your last, you stopped turning. I would not worry about it. Wear a face shield.

Norm Zax
06-30-2009, 6:25 AM
One thing missing in the replies - tailstock! Always engage it when using a screw. Then remove some bulk and when confident with the gripping power, remove the tailstock. While engaged, a loose screw will have little power to surprise you.
And a question - Where do you get the WoodRiver chucks? I looked for their inserts as well, to no avail. Thanks!

Jeff Nicol
06-30-2009, 6:54 AM
Dave, I have a nova chuck that uses the tommy bars for tightening, it is the first chuck I got and I use it a lot still! The scroll chucks with the one handle tightening just make it easier to do things one handed, like mounting a bowl with tenon while the chuck in on the lathe. You have recieved all good answers on the wood issue, Steve said it best, check the wood first for any cracks or fissures and if the sound changes stop the lathe and see what it going on. Good luck and keep on turning!

Jeff

David Hostetler
06-30-2009, 9:52 AM
One thing missing in the replies - tailstock! Always engage it when using a screw. Then remove some bulk and when confident with the gripping power, remove the tailstock. While engaged, a loose screw will have little power to surprise you.
And a question - Where do you get the WoodRiver chucks? I looked for their inserts as well, to no avail. Thanks!

Good advice. Thanks. I didn't run the tailstock in...

Woodriver is from Woodcraft. It's a house brand of theirs... I really like how smooth this thing operates. For the price tag, if it really works the way it feels in the long run, this thing was a steal... Smooth as warm butter and seems to grip like a pit bull so far.

The blank that blew up, I did not see any fissures in it before it came apart, but yeah, sound... just wasn't right.. I had the same thing happen 90% of the way through a walnut lamp spindle I was turning...

I am using blow down wood during the learning curve phase. Yeah I know there are a LOT of stresses on the wood from the wind, was just hoping to use some of this stuff to get through the learning curve without going broke is all...

I am too late to figure this out, but turning is DEFINATELY the crack cocaine of the woodworking world. Seriously addictive.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-01-2009, 1:24 AM
LOL

I just blew up another turning. I was fortunant enough to find all but 1 small fragment. Glued it back together. Just finished it. Like I said, it won't be the last time...... It "turned" out pretty nice looking. Maybe after SWMBO get back from her vacation with the camera, I can post a pic.