PDA

View Full Version : Sargent auto-set planes??

jerry nazard
06-29-2009, 5:28 PM
I recently picked up a couple Sargent auto-set planes: a 710 and 714, both in excellent shape. I'm ordering replacement irons from St. James Bay and intend to use both planes. Anyone out there using auto-sets? Any background info? -Jerry

Martin Cash
07-01-2009, 7:03 PM
Hi Jerry,
I'm not sure how thick the St James Bay blades are, but it would be worth remembering that the Autosets have a fixed frog and are not able to be adjusted to take really thick blades into account.
I tried to find reference to the St James Bay blades on their website but couldn't find them.
As for the planes themselves, I like them very much. They have a nice low centre of gravity and a very pleasing appearance. The new Stanley planes resemble them somewhat in body shape, and I'm sure that you have heard the old saying that imitation is the highest form of flattery.
The screw-cap cum cap iron is also adjustable for depth, so that you have some control over the fine-ness of the shaving.
The blade looks short but has about the same usable amount of "meat" on the blade as a Stanley iron.
I think that you will enjoy using these planes. It would be good to hear feedback on the new blades and how they work in the planes.
Cheers
MC

jerry nazard
07-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Martin,

Thank you for posting! I spent a few hours today with the auto-sets and was able to take some poplar shavings with the smoother. I was surprised at how quickly I was able to adjust for wide gossamer shavings.
With practically no backlash in the depth adjustment, getting just the right cut "on the fly" is easy. The plane has a very "gentle" feel to it, and will probably be a fun user.

Blade thickness on the smoother was 1/16 (.062) and on the jack 3/32 (.093). I will ask at St. James Bay what thickness their blades are and make sure I can use them before ordering.

Any tips, tricks, or history you can share? I am seeing prices for these things all over the map so someone out there is using (collecting) them.

All the best!

-Jerry

Martin Cash
07-01-2009, 11:38 PM
There is a useful book by David E Heckel called Sargent Planes Identification and Value Guide.
This is the only publication that I know of - perhaps there are others.
See
mjdtools.com/books/119827.htm

Cheers
MC

Justin Cavender
07-02-2009, 12:11 AM
How about some pics? http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/museum/autoset/autoset.html

jerry nazard
07-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Justin,

Thanks for the link! I'll post some photos tomorrow.

-Jerry

Martin Cash
07-02-2009, 12:50 AM
This one is an early autoset as it has the straight knurling on the knobs and the triangle on the screw cap.
Later ones have the diagonal diamond knurling and the knob adjuster on the screw cap.
Nice planes
MC