PDA

View Full Version : Nova chuck problem

Nathan Hawkes
06-29-2009, 3:58 PM
So, I bought a used supernova chuck off Ebay and have a problem; the new insert I got doesn't fit the chuck. It appears to be a slightly older chuck; its the same roughly 4" diameter body, but the thread pitch on the insert that was in the chuck--1x8tpi and the new insert, 1.25x8tpi are slightly different. The woodcraft site says the inserts match and are interchangeable with different Nova chucks, but it doesn't fit.......

The chuck body just says "Nova chuck", but it was listed as a SuperNova, not a supernova 2. The teknatool and woodcraft site seems to say that the chuck inserts should be the same, but I'm stumped. I don't really need the chuck, I have 2 stronghold chucks with #2 and #3 jaws on them--I don't like changing jaws. I wanted this one so that I could have a chuck with non-marring jaws for box making.

Has anyone had similar problems with older SuperNova chucks not matching new SuperNova2 chuck thread pitches?

http://sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/progress.gif

Cyril Griesbach
06-29-2009, 5:55 PM
Nate, all I can tell you is that the inserts for my supernova and supernova 2 are interchangable. I can put a 1.25x8 insert into the old supernova which had a 1.8 insert in it and also go the other way with the 1.25x8 from the supernova 2 into the supernova.

If I remember correctly (and that's loaded with doubt) the part numbers of the older and newer inserts of the same thread are still the same.

Chris Haas
06-29-2009, 8:36 PM
make sure the set screws are out far enough so the insert can go in. there are 2 on the sn2

Norm Zax
06-30-2009, 6:37 AM
I'd suggest buying new inserts, and Woodriver in particular. They cost about a third comparing with Teknatool, if I could only find who sells them.
Call US service center for Teknatool here: 304-295-8166' 6am-2:30pm EST.
Norm

Randy Hoch
07-01-2009, 2:57 PM
I had a bad insert for my Supernova 2 which caused a "wobble". When I replaced the insert with a new one, the runout problem disappeared. It was a Nova insert too. Highland replaced no problem.

Randy

Joshua Dinerstein
07-01-2009, 3:35 PM
I'd suggest buying new inserts, and Woodriver in particular. They cost about a third comparing with Teknatool, if I could only find who sells them.
Call US service center for Teknatool here: 304-295-8166' 6am-2:30pm EST.
Norm

I bought my woodriver insert from Woodcraft. They have a ton. If you want I will grab one at the local store for you and mail it out.

Joshua

Nathan Hawkes
07-01-2009, 7:04 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. This is definitely a problem with the insert being milled to the wrong size, not the screws being out too far or anything. I've contacted tekna tool about it, and got a message while I was out! :rolleyes: I'll call them back tomorrow morning.

Jim Kountz
07-01-2009, 8:05 PM
I have a Supernova 2 that does not take an insert, its fixed at 1.25 x 8. Could it be you have bought one of these?? The inserts from my other nova chucks will NOT fit in it.

Nathan Hawkes
07-02-2009, 12:27 AM
I wish it were that simple. The chuck I bought had an insert for 1x8tpi in it when I received it, I need a 1.25x8tpi.

Hilel Salomon
07-02-2009, 6:14 PM
Hi Nate,

I bought some SN2 chucks a while back and rather than pay the teknatool price for their inserts, I got some 1.25x8 inserts from woodcraft for their cheaper chucks and they fit fine. As I remember, they were about 4 dollars each. The only slight problem is that the Teknatool wrench does not fit them, but lots of solutions to that.
Regards, Hilel.