PDA

View Full Version : I should have slept with my boots on!

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2009, 2:53 PM
My three aunts came for a delightful visit this weekend. We painted the town red Friday night. I wore my typically cooperative boots. Usually I slide them, and when I get home I slide them off. Fairly simple process actually.

I returned home in the early hours of Saturday morning to find that some cosmic force was conspiring against me in my own house. First, the lock on the door would NOT hold still. I finally chased it down and managed to hold it in one place long enough to insert the key and open the door. On opening the door I discovered that my hallway had grown to twice its normal length. Well, not to worry, all will be right again in the morning. I'll just take off my trusty boots and call it a night. I bend over to remove my right boot only to discover that it has decided it does not want to be removed from my foot. No problem, I just give it a good tug and out of nowhere my dining room table hits me just over the right eye. Dining tables do not move in a normal world! Oh well, the right boot now comes off easily and I'll just remove the left boot while I'm down here on the floor. Discovering that my floor is actually quite comfy I decide to just take a little nap as it is not worth it to navigate that blasted long hall with just a few hours before daylight.

And what did the morning bring? Lots of sunlight, requiring rubbing of sleepy eyes eliciting pain from the right brow area. And then the real awakening . . . my first black eye. Ain't she a beaut?

Stephen Musial
06-29-2009, 2:56 PM
The world must still be conspiring against you - the attachment doesn't work.

Tell the world I said it was OK for you to take the rest of the month off.

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2009, 2:57 PM
Just fixed that Stephen! I have folks telling me this will all be gone in two weeks!

Bruce Page
06-29-2009, 3:06 PM
Ouch!
Ya gotta watch out for those shifty tables!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-29-2009, 3:08 PM
Ouch!

It's been my experience that my head always hurts the next morning regardless if I bump it on something or not.:rolleyes:

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2009, 3:13 PM
Ouch!

It's been my experience that my head always hurts the next morning regardless if I bump it on something or not.:rolleyes:

Actually Ken, the head felt fine, except for the eye. Apparently I didn't learn anything because we went out again Saturday night. I locked the dining table in the closet for that one! :D

Steve Schlumpf
06-29-2009, 3:14 PM
Belinda - hope you feel better soon but at least you got a great story out of it! ROFLOL

Lee Schierer
06-29-2009, 3:31 PM
Now if your significant other tried to explain a black eye after a night on the town with that story, would you believe it.......:D

Keep tellin the tale Belinda......LOL

P.S. I hear steak works well for a black eye....cooked on the grill, not on the eye.

Chris Padilla
06-29-2009, 3:42 PM
What lovely blue eyes you have, Belinda! :)

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2009, 3:46 PM
What lovely blue eyes you have, Belinda! :)

Thank you Chris! Hopefully soon one of them will just be blue again! Interestingly enough, there is not a single store on River Street Savannah that sells pirate's patches! I was going to get a hat and a patch and just have a theme day.

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2009, 4:01 PM
All joking aside, I would like to share another aspect of the story.

Saturday the eye really didn't look that bad, just dark purple upper lid. It started to blossom yesterday (when the pick was taken) and has spread a little further today. Most people didn't really notice it on Saturday, but on Sunday it was impossible to ignore. I went grocery shopping on Sunday and ran a few other errands and not one single person I encountered even commented on the eye. When I broke my foot and was on crutches every other person I crossed paths with asked what happened to my foot. This is the south, strangers talk to strangers in check out lines, we discuss football at the post office, we discuss hair-dos at Wally-world. I think it is sad that when it comes to something that could have resulted from abuse no one is willing to get involved. All I got was eye contact and the quick, embarassed "look away".

Eric Larsen
06-29-2009, 4:13 PM
And what did the morning bring? Lots of sunlight, requiring rubbing of sleepy eyes eliciting pain from the right brow area. And then the real awakening . . . my first black eye. Ain't she a beaut?

Another classic case of ... "A sudden gust of gravity."

glenn bradley
06-29-2009, 4:15 PM
What a shiner. Well done.

Phyllis Meyer
06-29-2009, 4:17 PM
Belinda,

You crack me up! Try lots of Mary Kay, Covergirl, Maybelline...heck, ya might want to mix all three and plaster it on. Those darn boots:cool:! I still think you should try to find a patch...and of course then you need a parrot on your shoulder:D

Phyllis:)

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2009, 4:44 PM
What a shiner. Well done.

Thank you Glenn. I try not to do anything halfway!:rolleyes:

Belinda,

You crack me up! Try lots of Mary Kay, Covergirl, Maybelline...heck, ya might want to mix all three and plaster it on. Those darn boots:cool:! I still think you should try to find a patch...and of course then you need a parrot on your shoulder:D

Phyllis:)

LOL . . . Phyllis, Hollywood doesn't have enough spackle to make this one disappear. It looks like someone has been drawing around my eye with a permanent black Sharpie!

Stephen Musial
06-29-2009, 4:55 PM
Thank you Chris! Hopefully soon one of them will just be blue again! Interestingly enough, there is not a single store on River Street Savannah that sells pirate's patches! I was going to get a hat and a patch and just have a theme day.

Don't forget to get a pair of pirates favorite socks.

Steve Clardy
06-29-2009, 7:15 PM
Hey just make a wooden pirate patch and hang a rubber band on it. :D

Jim Mattheiss
06-29-2009, 8:41 PM
Belinda:

The question that has to be asked - did you wear the same boots again the following night? :D

I hope your eye's feeling better soon.

PS: Maybe you should baby proof the table when you are planning on hitting the 90 proof!

Cheers

Jim

Mark Hix
06-29-2009, 9:06 PM
It will start changing colors pretty soon. You may have to match your outfit to the yellows and greens that will appear soon.

Mark Norman
06-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Its a real shame and an unwelcome sign of the time when what could have been evidence of domestic abuse gets ignored.

Phil Thien
06-30-2009, 7:32 AM
At least you passed out before you thought to use any power tools. :D

Belinda Barfield
06-30-2009, 8:32 AM
Belinda:

The question that has to be asked - did you wear the same boots again the following night? :D

Jim

Yep, sure did!

Its a real shame and an unwelcome sign of the time when what could have been evidence of domestic abuse gets ignored.

Exactly Mark. You would think at least one person would have asked "Are you okay?"

At least you passed out before you thought to use any power tools. :D

LOL, by the time I got home I had been up for 22 hours. That's a long time for me. I wouldn't have considered picking up a screw driver!

Stephen Musial
06-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Come on - nobody is going to ask what pirate's favorite socks are?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2009, 11:45 AM

Nope....leaves you less open :D

Belinda Barfield
06-30-2009, 11:56 AM

A pirate's favorite socks are AAARGH-yle!

Stephen Musial
06-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Shakes hook and hobbles away on peg-leg back to workshop

Rich Stewart
06-30-2009, 1:40 PM
When my son was little he fell on the window sill and had a SHINER big time. LOTS of people asked me what happened. Lots of people asked HIM what happened as if to catch me. Nice shiner.

Phil Thien
06-30-2009, 6:49 PM
LOL, by the time I got home I had been up for 22 hours. That's a long time for me. I wouldn't have considered picking up a screw driver!

It is interesting that the tool you named is also a drink. Just sayin'. ;)

Al Willits
06-30-2009, 9:30 PM
I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for ya or envy you, your sure having more excitement than I'm having lately..:D:D

Either way, here's hoping you stay away from them immovable objects for awhile..:D

Al

Leigh Costello
07-01-2009, 1:48 AM
Belinda,
I must say, attack furniture is a terrible problem. I frequently have to battle moving sofas, tables, chairs and assorted bedroom pieces. But the rebellious boots deserve a share in the blame. I urge you to wear them frequently to train them better and to lash down all of your household goods before all trips to fun places. :D

You know, a couple of years ago I worked in a store and a customer came in with a shiner. I asked if her horse had something to do with it and she said no, but no elaboration. Made it hard to look at her hubby again.

sigh....wish my boots would take me somewhere fun....:p

Joe Mioux
07-01-2009, 4:29 AM
I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for ya or envy you, your sure having more excitement than I'm having lately..:D:D

Either way, here's hoping you stay away from them immovable objects for awhile..:D

Al

I thought it was the movable objects that caused the problem.;)

Once, I did ask a woman how she got her black eye. She told me she fell. The lack of explanation made me wonder if it was something more serious.

Nice shiner, but my eyes are bluer. :p

Hope it heals fast for you, Belinda.

Joe

Cary Falk
07-01-2009, 4:44 AM
My wife got one when a saddle buckle hit her below the eye. I felt like everyone was looking a me when we went out in public. Hope it heals quickly.

Belinda Barfield
07-01-2009, 7:51 AM
Nice shiner, but my eyes are bluer. :p
Joe

Proof? Pics? :D

I just keep telling you all to put on your boots and come to Savannah. It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys around here. Saturday night we went to the Bayou Cafe. The tables were arranged in such a manner that there was no dance floor, so I started moving tables and chairs. What kind of place has a great band and no dance floor!?! The bouncer threatened to throw me out if I moved another chair. Party pooper. I cheated and asked two guys to move the rest of the tables and chairs out of the way. Got my dance floor and didn't get thrown out.

Mark Norman
07-02-2009, 2:13 AM
I cheated and asked two guys to move the rest of the tables and chairs out of the way. Got my dance floor and didn't get thrown out.

Now we need vids:D:D

Belinda Barfield
07-02-2009, 8:09 AM
Now we need vids:D:D

Don't have them Mark. A bride to be, 7 bridesmaids, and assorted female family members were also on the dance floor, so I'm sure the vids are out there somewhere. :rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2009, 8:52 AM
Don't have them Mark. A bride to be, 7 bridesmaids, and assorted female family members were also on the dance floor, so I'm sure the vids are out there somewhere. :rolleyes:

Oh Lord! I'd have paid to have seen that show!:D

Belinda Barfield
07-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Oh Lord! I'd have paid to seen that show!:D

$5 cover Ken! :D Actually the show didn't really start until the bride's Aunt Vicky hit the floor. Literally, on her butt, hit the floor. Aunt Vicky was on the sidelines chair dancing, so I encouraged her to join us. Looking back, I probably should have encouraged her to remain seated!

Weekend before last was the real show. A group of girlfriends and I went to Savannah Smiles, a dueling pianos bar. There were two batchlorette parties going on that night!

curtis rosche
07-02-2009, 3:10 PM
its better to have an inhome accident than it is to have an in-shop accident. the shop ones tend to be a bit messier and more painful

phil harold
07-02-2009, 3:52 PM
well done!

if you had gotten the room to spin they might have let you post in the turners forum...

Rory Talkington
07-03-2009, 2:55 PM
Belinda, very patriotic of you....kind of a red, white and blue effect. Just in time for the 4th of July. :D

Belinda Barfield
07-03-2009, 3:05 PM
Belinda, very patriotic of you....kind of a red, white and blue effect. Just in time for the 4th of July. :D

I hadn't thought of it that way Rory! Happy 4th!

David Duke
07-03-2009, 8:10 PM
Proof? Pics? :D

I just keep telling you all to put on your boots and come to Savannah. It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys around here. ...........

Belinda, we just moved my oldest son to Atlanta.................from the looks of that eye I might needt to tell him to stay away from Savannah!!

By the way nice shinner!!!!!!!:D:D

Belinda Barfield
07-04-2009, 2:31 PM
Belinda, we just moved my oldest son to Atlanta.................from the looks of that eye I might needt to tell him to stay away from Savannah!!

By the way nice shinner!!!!!!!:D:D

No, no, tell him to visit Savannah. Atlanta isn't actually Georgia, it just happens to be geographically located in the state.

The shiner could have happened anywhere, I just happened to be in Savannah at the time. :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
07-06-2009, 4:55 PM
New Avatar time!! :D

Belinda Barfield
07-06-2009, 5:22 PM
New Avatar time!! :D

Now that's just mean Chris! That would frighten small children and elderly members with heart conditions. Can we save this one for Halloween?

Ted Calver
07-06-2009, 5:35 PM
Dang Chris!!
I think one of those things has been eating my sweetcorn!!

Belinda Barfield
07-06-2009, 7:35 PM
Dang Chris!!
I think one of those things has been eating my sweetcorn!!

Must have been some other monster! I don't like corn! (and I have an alibi)

Chris Padilla
07-09-2009, 4:49 PM
Now that's just mean Chris! That would frighten small children and elderly members with heart conditions. Can we save this one for Halloween?

Halloween it is...and I'm holdin' ya to it!! :D