PDA

View Full Version : Got a lathe, and have NO idea what to do with it

Jack Diemer
08-27-2004, 2:57 PM
I acquired one of those $169 delta midi lathe at Lowes.

I can honestly say the only thing I ever turned was a walnut pen at last year's Central States Bar BQ with the help of Ken Salisbury and Terry Hatfield. It did not turn out so good, so I did not become instantly hooked like many other. Needless to say, the "good deal" tool collector in me surpassed my normal good judgement, and I executed the buy.

Now I hear I need gouges, chucks, glue, special sandpaper, safety equipment, sharpening equipment, and a way to catch all that new dust; when all I really want to do is make one of those cool looking bowls everyone keeps posting out there.

Any advice for a poor sap trying to dabble in this spinny hobby?

David Wilson
08-27-2004, 3:10 PM
But a face sheld, some gouges, and start making a mess. I'm no expert but that is how I started.

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-27-2004, 3:16 PM
First of all Jack, welcome to the round world! Some have tried to escape from the round world, but few have been able to. ;) Are you coming to Terry's BBQ this year? If so, I am sure there will be some turning going on, and I, among others, will have some turning gear there you can check out. If not, there is much that can be accomplished on the lathe with minimal outlay of cash, or you can spend endlessly if you want. I would start slow, perhaps join a local turning club, or find someone to give you a few lessons. That way, you will have a better understanding what you may need for the type of turning you would like to do. Check with the AAW website and see if there is a turning club chapter near you. Most of the turning clubs have great members who are always willing to help. Good Luck with the lathe, I am sure you will enjoy it once you learn the ropes! :D

Kurt Aebi
08-27-2004, 3:32 PM
Jack,

Go to Harbor Freight & get a cheap set of chisels to start with (that way if you mess up sharpening them - it'll be no big deal).

If you have a bench grinder, you are set with the sharpening tools to start with.

I am sure the lathe came with a Spur & Cup (or Live Center) and a small face-plate, so you are set to start turning bowls (a Chuck will improve your outcome, but isn't entirely necessary). You can glue a waste block on whatever you wish to turn and screw that to the faceplate.

Re-read many of the posts on this forum from the many experienced turners, Dennis Peacock, Mike Grumbine, Mike Schwing, Jim Becker, Don Farr, Kevin G.....(too many letters, lol), John M., and of course our very own Rebel Ken Salisbury, as well as the many many many many many others on this forum have submitted - I have learned so very much from their advice.

Pens are a good way to get a start, but not the only way - if you have a desire to do bowls, then you'll want to try bowls - try small ones and work up from there.

Special Glues, sandpaper, etc. will come in time, but I am sure the Shakers didn't have anything fancy and they turned some real good stuff. Regular wood glues and sandpaper are fine to get started with. you will determine for yourself when you should upgrade to the more specialized stuff.

I guess what I am saying is, get some chisels, eye protection and some wood and GET TURNING! Buddy! Try It, You'll Like It as they used to say. Oh Yea, if you have a Shop-Vac, that's all you need for dust collection - at least to start with!. If you do not have one a dustpan and broom have always worked for me!

Just believe what these guys listed above have to say and ignore Tyler when it comes to "Spinny Things"

Jack Diemer
08-27-2004, 3:32 PM
Yes Kevin, we are bringing a truck full of us down from Kansas City including some YAHOO from San Jose (I won't mention his name...Chris Padilla) to the Central States BBQ.

I can't wait to see us explode another bowl into a dozen pieces like we did last year, and then see Ken Salisbury glue up all the pieces and repost it looking brand new a week later.

Ken, you might want to bring your super secret glue to the picnic this year so we can see just how you did it. If memory serves me right I think that your secret glue might have simply been "super glue"

Dan Stuewe
08-27-2004, 3:38 PM
Just to whet your appitite a bit more, look at this web site - custom fishing rods - and boy are they pretty!

www.ClassicCustomWood.com

Jack Diemer
08-27-2004, 3:45 PM
Never would have even thought about making custom fishing rods. Very interesting!!!

Besides, pens, bowls, baseball bats, fishing rods, vases, cups, spindles, perfume bottles, and now fishing poles.........What other things can you turn that I am not aware of.

Kurt Aebi
08-27-2004, 3:46 PM
Duck & Goose Calls, Turkey Calls, Bases for Old Glass Insulator Night-Lights, just about anything you want with round features.

Jack Diemer
08-27-2004, 3:50 PM
Since I am wanting to start with bowls, I am leaning toward the $69 set at PSI. I keep hearing good things about the $35 set at harbor freight, but I figure if I need a bowl gouge and a scraper, I will quickly surpass that $69 price tag anyway.

I also found a $159 bowl set of Sorby's at a place called "The best things". Now I am not made of money, but I am trying to figure out if I am just delaying the inevitable (like I did with Dust Collection) by not going straight to the good stuff. Any comments appreciated......what would you do if you did it all over again?

Chris Padilla
08-27-2004, 5:03 PM
Ha! :D :D :D

Greg Heppeard
08-27-2004, 5:08 PM
Never would have even thought about making custom fishing rods. Very interesting!!!

Besides, pens, bowls, baseball bats, fishing rods, vases, cups, spindles, perfume bottles, and now fishing poles.........What other things can you turn that I am not aware of.

There's also fishing lures.

Kurt Aebi
08-27-2004, 5:09 PM
Jack,

I forgot to post a web site that you can make yourself a Bowl Jig. A friend of mine from another forum made one of these and his stuff turned out pretty good. He has a new Jet Mini with Variable Speed - Darn near exactly the same size as your Delta.

Check it out, I printed myself a copy, but haven't gotten to make one yet. http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/bowljig.html

Tyler, the Jig is made from "Flat" stock!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Good Luck and if you do make and try one of these, post a report of how it worked for you.

And I think you are going to be just fine getting the $65.00 PSI set.

Chris Padilla
08-27-2004, 5:24 PM
Jack,

How about a thimble, toothpick holder, knobs, trivets, corker....

Terry Hatfield
08-27-2004, 5:32 PM
Jack,

Don't worry...I've had my lathe for over a year now and I still don't know what to do with it. :D

Congrats!!!

t

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-27-2004, 7:11 PM
.....................any chance we are gonna get to see ya turn............say,..............a Goblet at the BBQ this year? :D

I missed it last year.........................come on now............

WHO'S YER BUDDY? :p :D ;)

(Dennis made me do it!) :eek:

Dennis Peacock
08-27-2004, 7:33 PM
.....................any chance we are gonna get to see ya turn............say,..............a Goblet at the BBQ this year? :D

WHO'S YER BUDDY? :p ;)

Hey now!!!!! :eek:

I didn't twist yer arm..!!!! :rolleyes: Well....maybe a little. ;)

Terry will have to demonstrate his ability to make wood "fly".!! :p

<b>Jack...</b>

you'll never be the same any more. Once you taste the great world of "round", flat work will become suddenly boring. Then comes the lathe UPGRADE!!!!! :eek: Start saving up now for a BIG lathe!!!!!

Terry Hatfield
08-27-2004, 8:32 PM

WHO'S YER BUDDY? :p :D ;)

Ha Ha.

NO!!! There is no chance. It's way to dangerous for anybody to be around when I'm turning. :rolleyes:

t

Dennis Peacock
08-27-2004, 9:54 PM
Ha Ha.

NO!!! There is no chance. It's way to dangerous for anybody to be around when I'm turning. :rolleyes:

t

LOL!!!!

But Terry....that's only when the lathe is ON.!!! :p :D

Eddie Watkins
08-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Jack,

like you, I bought a lathe a few weeks ago because it was a bargain. Thursday I turned my first training project, I thought it was a table leg, LOML thought it was a club to whack people with. I bought a book by a guy named Keith Rowley called "Woodturning, a Foundation Course" that is very helpful. There's probably other good books available, you might try one of the woodstores or a book borg and see what is available. He makes recommendations on tools, talks about safety and has some beginner projects. I didn't have any problems but I have never seen a tool that could generate so much saw dust and chips so fast. I would start with a respirator and a full face mask, keep the rotating speed slow and keep the tool rest fairly close to the stock. That's a few of the ideas I got from the book, not mine. Even though the book was good, I still plan on taking some lessons. Good luck it really is fun!:)

Mark Stutz
08-28-2004, 8:08 PM
Jack,
As a novice turner, I am going thru what you are. I took a 2 day class at Woodcraft, before I bought anything. I bought the lathe and tools as I left the store! I was so hoke that I went ahead with good gouges, etc. from the beginning, as I have spent way too much over the years upgrading my tools. :( I did my first bowls with a faceplate and waste block with wood from the firewood pile. Face shield is critical IMO, and I wear a respirator to sand, but the Trend unit is looking better every day. The lesson was the best investment I've made however. Good luck on this slippery slope!
Mark

Steve Roxberg
08-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Jack,

The first thing you need to locate someone you know in Kansas City with a stash of freshly cut (meaning Free) Walnut and Box Elder.

That will provide some free wood.

On the tools, I've seen some pretty good prices on some tools on ebay recently and was even tempted to buy some for resale.

Hint, I have lots of free wood for ya.

Jack Diemer
08-29-2004, 12:23 AM
Steve, I'll have to take you up on that. My next door neighbor lost a bradford pear recently, so I have a little free wood to draw from, but that won't last long.