PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Saw Image Convertion to Vector Issue

Tim Bateson
06-29-2009, 9:29 AM
I purchased a bunch of scroll saw images from Sue Mey – she is a very talented scroll saw artist. Anyway, I’ve used other PDF scroll saw images from other sources with no problems when converting within Corel. However her PDF images will not properly convert to vector. I’ve even tried Vector Magic. It helped, but didn’t resolve all of the issues.
Problem: These are hand drawn images, which are fine for printing and scroll saw work, but when converted to vector, I have many vector lines that need to be removed. Due to the hand drawn issues some lines are heaver then others, thus contain many vector lines and many connected vector lines when converted. Too many of these vector lines cannot be broken apart without a LOT of cutting.
I do not want someone to do the conversations as I have a bunch of them & may be purchasing more in the future. I want to learn how I can resolve these issues. The only two solutions I can think of is re-tracing them, or do a zillion cuts and re-draw lines where needed, but wish to avoid that if possible – most of these are very complex images.
I know some of you out there can do this type of work in your sleep. Please help us less talented with some detailed solutions.:o
Note: Due to copyright agreement, I cannot post any of the images.

Garrett Nors
06-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Without seeing the actual file it's really hard to say what the best option would be.

Dave Johnson29
06-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Note: Due to copyright agreement, I cannot post any of the images.

Tim,

I'm with Garret, but you can open the file in Corel and cut a large chunk of it that contains some of the most egregious issues and post that. Copyright laws allow reasonable sections to be duplicated to be used as a reference.

What about loading them into Corel, select all and adjust lines to 0.002", no-hairline and single color fill. Then export as a BMP or TIFF then try Vectormagic again. Maybe try exporting as DWG.

Mike Chance in Iowa
06-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Another option is you can point us to a link on her web site (if she has one) and we can look at the picture there ...

While we're waiting, go into CD and select a line or two and then select your Shape Tool. Look across your toolbar for the "Join Two Nodes" button and explore that feature.

Tim Bateson
06-29-2009, 12:18 PM
...While we're waiting, go into CD and select a line or two and then select your Shape Tool. Look across your toolbar for the "Join Two Nodes" button and explore that feature.

I'll try that tonight

..but you can open the file in Corel and cut a large chunk of it that contains some of the most egregious issues and post that. Copyright laws allow reasonable sections to be duplicated to be used as a reference...

I'll try that tonight

..What about loading them into Corel, select all and adjust lines to 0.002", no-hairline and single color fill. Then export as a BMP or TIFF then try Vectormagic again. Maybe try exporting as DWG.

I'll try that as well. Thanks.

Steve Clarkson
06-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Tim,

She has a few free ones on her website that you could post.

Carl Sewell
06-29-2009, 1:21 PM
Do you have CorelDraw X4 or v12? Version 12 had a centerline option for its trace program and I believe they brought it back in X4, but I don't have X4 so I can't verify that.

Gary and Jessica Houghton
06-29-2009, 1:28 PM
Tim, I just downloaded one of SUe Mey's free patterns. I don't know if they are the same as her other patterns, but I was able to import the file into Corel. I then did a trace if the item (line trace). This produced a pretty good trace. I then took the smart fill tool (6th button on the left tool bar in corel) and filled the pattern. I chose to have a hairline and no fill. I cut the fill then deleted the original image. I pasted back the fill and voila, you have a finished hairline only vector file you can cut.

Tim Bateson
06-29-2009, 1:28 PM
Corel X3 - v13

Ron Nametko
06-29-2009, 2:12 PM
Send her an email for a vector format. She will send a vector format if asked.

Linda Tetreault
06-29-2009, 2:12 PM
Tim,

I just downloaded a design from Sue Mey also, it will open in adobe, but when I import to corel X3, it tells me the file is corrupt. I don't usually have a problem with pdf files, is it a filter issue? TIA

Garrett Nors
06-29-2009, 2:14 PM

Well that's just too easy :p

Tim Bateson
06-29-2009, 2:47 PM

Well Duuuuuuu Sure if you wanted to resolve this the easy way! :p:p:p I did just that, thank you.

The saying in my Sig line below holds true once more.

Linda Tetreault
06-29-2009, 3:05 PM
Guess I shoulda backed up 1 message, but I'd still like to know why it didn't open.

Tim Bateson
06-29-2009, 3:25 PM
Linda, Most PDF files import just fine, but with these I had that same issue. No clue as to why. I just cut & past from Adobe to Corel. I'm guessing some sort of version or format incompatibility.

Linda Tetreault
06-29-2009, 7:58 PM
Thanks Tim,

The cut & paste worked, thanks. One more trick to make things work.

Steve Eide
06-29-2009, 11:35 PM
I checked out Sue Mey's website and she does some wonderful work. I also downloaded a free pattern to try and browsed her offerings.

I reviewed her "Conditions of Use" and found that she limits resale to scroll saw or other woodworking tools. The terms do not allow the resale of a product based on her design if it was produced by computerized machinery.

You may create a finished product to sell using the pattern. This is restricted to products made on the scroll saw or with wood carving methods and excludes products made with computerized machinery.

Tim Bateson
06-30-2009, 1:36 PM
...I reviewed her "Conditions of Use" and found that she limits resale to scroll saw or other woodworking tools. The terms do not allow the resale of a product based on her design if it was produced by computerized machinery.

You are correct Steve. Most scroll saw designs are protect in this way. They're worried about their designs being massed produced. We have to respect the rights of these artists/designers.
I'm careful about selling either my own designed products or those for which I have acquired rights to. If rights cannot be obtained, I may make a couple for either my own use or as personal gifts.