PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
06-29-2009, 8:37 AM
29 Jun 2009

Good Morning and Where has this year gone..!!!??!!
July is upon us and before I know it? It will be Thanksgiving!!! Wow...

Woke up this morning to a nice 67º F outside so the LOML and I grabbed our coffee cups and made our way to the front porch to sit on our favorite chairs, enjoy the morning temps, admire the mocking bird dive bombing the neighbors cat, and getting ready to celebrate our daughter's 18th birthday.

Woodworking related? The American Girl doll bed is almost done now and then I gotta figure out how to ship it to Alabama all in one piece. Woodworking this time of year is really hard for me because of no A/C in the shop any more, no money to fix my two A/C units and my heart medicine is such that the heat just drains me bad. The LOML is helping me get up earlier and earlier every week so I can get in the shop by 6AM and be able to work about 3 hours before the heat starts building up in the shop and outside.

Came off of "oncall" duty this morning and I'm glad that's over. Well, that's it for me.....

So what did YOU do that past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.!!!

Dan Gill
06-29-2009, 8:57 AM
I finished the wedding pergola . . . and it seemed as if it was too tall. I made it according to my son's and soon-to-be-daughter-in-law's specs, but it was obvious to me that the top would not be in any of their pictures. So I called them over, they agreed, and I sawed off about 15 inches of the legs. At the top, of course, which meant re-drilling the attachment holes. In this heat. I did manage to wait until there was shade in the back yard, but I'm sure I watered that section of yard with my sweat. Oh, well. It's done now and the wedding is Friday.

Joe Mioux
06-29-2009, 9:21 AM
on Sunday, it was yard work. trimmed the bushes, cut grass, trimmed, cleaned water garden filters, pulled weeds, cleaned the garage.

While cleaning the garage I noticed cob webs on the bandsaw. :(

so that also got cleaned up and then I made some adjustments to my lathe. Now that I have new room in the garage again maybe.... just maybe.... something wood related can occur.

joe

Jerome Hanby
06-29-2009, 9:26 AM
Mowed grass early Sat Morning and worked on cleaning the shop the rest of the day. I can't believe how hot it was, like working in an oven. Mowed a little more on Sunday and relocates some lubber to the storage area we rigged up on Sat.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-29-2009, 9:41 AM
Laundry, dishes, meals and yardwork.

I did start gutting the mainfloor bathroom in preparation for the upcoming new tub and toilet and retiling. This coming weekend this will get serious.

Karl Laustrup
06-29-2009, 1:12 PM
Morning Dennis. Thanks for the well wishes Friday. Not sure what I had. Saturday I felt a little better, but decided I'd take it easy just in case.

By Sunday I felt good again, so LOML and I played golf. It was a beautiful day. Sunny, in the 70's with a breeze. Spent the rest of the day resting just to make sure I wasn't going to end up sick again.

Today I seem to be back to normal, whatever that may be. :confused: Actually, that would be quite a stretch, as I've never been normal in my life. :D

Back to the grind today and prepare for the 4th weekend.

Hey Ken in Ideho-ho, you're batching it right? Must be nice doing what you want when you want to do it, huh?;):D:D

Karl

Jim Rimmer
06-29-2009, 1:17 PM
Finally found something to fix the glue spots on my bamboo floor (posted separately) now it looks like I expected. Reupholstered the seats in the dining room chairs. Other than that, preparing for the visits of my two children, spouses and 5 grandkids.

Matt Brawley
06-29-2009, 3:03 PM
Well this weekend I made some good news out of bad news. I get to spend alot more time in my shop now since I don't have to go into work anymore, the bad news is I don't have anywhere to go to work. Glad I saved for a rainy day.

David Hostetler
06-29-2009, 3:06 PM
Took care of family issues, or at least did the day to day on them... Kind of an ongoing thing... Paid my flood insurance for the next year, tried out my new chuck from Woodcraft, blew up the bowl I was trying to rough out... (Where'd THAT crack come from?)... Went back inside because it was too stinking hot.

Jim Rimmer
06-29-2009, 3:40 PM
Took care of family issues, or at least did the day to day on them... Kind of an ongoing thing... Paid my flood insurance for the next year, tried out my new chuck from Woodcraft, blew up the bowl I was trying to rough out... (Where'd THAT crack come from?)... Went back inside because it was too stinking hot.
+1 to the too stinking hot :eek:

Jim O'Dell
06-29-2009, 5:52 PM
Sorry for the bad news part Matt. But just think, you get to decide where you will go to work next!
No woodworking on my part either. Mowed the grass, took the carb back off about 15 times redoing things (over Sat and Sun) Finally by Sun eve, I got it where it wasn't dripping gas in the garage anymore, and started with the air filter on it, though not real easily. The guys at Garden Web were very helpful with my questions. Took the weedeater apart again, and found a cut in the fuel line that was spraying raw gas after about 5 minutes running. Did lots of research on new mowers. ;) LOML was ready to get a new one with all the problems we've had with this old hand me down. I had hoped to wait until next year, but may have to look for some after season specials this Fall. Have a great week all! Jim.

Nathan Callender
06-29-2009, 8:54 PM
Well, it was blazing hot here so I didn't get much done, but I did get a face frame members for about half of my project rough sawn and they just need to be run through the planer for final dimensioning and also got boards cut for my first two door panel glue ups - of which my first door panel glue up is sitting in clamps right now. We'll see how it comes out.

I did bend a 1/4" shank stile and rail bit this weekend (documented in another thread - I was going to cut the stiles and rails for the above doors this weekend, until that happened). Not a fun experience. Needless to say, today I ordered 1/2" shank bits. :-)

Jim Mattheiss
06-29-2009, 8:56 PM
On Friday night I installed the replacement desktop for the table/desk we picked up at the curb a few weeks ago.

The top was originally a piece of particle board with a delaminated veneer. I built a replacement out of 3/4" oak boards, doubled up around the perimeter.

I had a little trouble in the finishing but in the end it came out allright. Pic below . . .

The rest of the weekend was spent cleaning up the lawn - the NJ rain stopped long enough to mow the lawn and reorganizing the garage.

Cheers

Jim