PDA

View Full Version : Std drawer dimensions???

Jay Yoder
06-28-2009, 10:33 PM
What would the "standard" dimensions for drawers made out of 1/2" material? I realize the heights will change, but is there a standard size that i could make the "boxes"? I awill be using 3/4" extension drawer slides which require 1/2" clearance on either side...The cabinets will have overall outside dimensions of 24" wide x 24" deep (inside dims would be 23 1/4 x 23 1/4). Is it correct to say that my drawers should be 22 1/2" x 22 1/2 maximum outside dimensions? that seems to be a large drawer for shop cabinets!

Jamie Buxton
06-28-2009, 10:41 PM
There is no standard size for drawer boxes. You make them to fit the cabinets and slides.

Your math doesn't seem to add up. If the inside width of the cabinet is 23 1/4, and each slide needs 1/2", the outside width of the drawer box should be 22 1/4, not 22 1/2.

Tip: make the drawer boxes a shade narrow. You can shim the slides to accommodate slightly narrow drawers, but you're completely hosed if the drawer box is slightly too wide.

Jay Yoder
06-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Jamie,
I checked and ur right, guess my math skills dwindle to nothing after 10:00! Haha!

I was actually thinking of making them abt an 1/8" to 1/16" undersized for that exact reason...I tend to not be perfect in assembly at times!

David DeCristoforo
06-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Make your drawers 1 1/16" less than the "net" opening size. That will give you plenty of "wriggle room". An eighth is too much. Most glides are designed for an 1/16" "undersized" drawer. In fact if you deduct exactly one inch, many glides will not work as smoothly as they should. This is a "rule of thumb" for side mounted glides. Undermounts are another story. With those you need to follow the mfgr's specs as closely as you can.

Lee Schierer
06-29-2009, 10:51 AM
As others have said make the drawers fit the cabinet and don't make them before the cabinet is acutally made even if you are working from plans. Measure the actual openings and make the drawers 1-1/16" less than the opening.

One other tip, make your cabinet assembly as square as possible. Extra care taken to make the carcase square will make your life immeasurably easier when you start fitting drawers into it. If your carcase is out of square and uneven in dimension you will have a miserable time fitting the drawers in so they work right. Trapazoidal openings and out of square runners supports don't work well with square drawers.

When you start making your drawer boxes, make them as perfect as you can and triple check them for square when you glue them up.

Scott Schwake
06-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Undermounts are another story. With those you need to follow the mfgr's specs as closely as you can.

Any other tips for using these? I'm about to start some (my first drawer making project).

Jay Yoder
06-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the info. I am a relative newcomer, so the advice gleaned from you'all is priceless!! 1-1/16" it will be! I hear you about "squareness" but unfortunately, I tend to get in a hurry and bam, a 1/16" out!!