PDA

View Full Version : Raised panel doors

Jay Jolliffe
06-28-2009, 9:18 PM
I've been making raised panel doors that are 4 panels. Two one the top and two on the bottom with a 4 1/2" stile between the panels. Now I'm working on smaller narrower ones. If I keep making them the same with the center stile the panels will be 6" in width. If I don't use the center stile they will be 161/2". How small can the panels be & look proportional.The stiles are 4 1/2", bottom rail 8", mid rail 7" & top 4 1/2".

Peter Quinn
06-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Last set of four panel doors I made had a few closet doors and narrow pairs included. I seem to remember the center stiles on the narrow doors being 1" less than on the larger doors (2'6"-2'10"). We us 4 1/2" stiles and top rail, 9" kick rail, 8" lock rail, and 4" mid stiles on full size doors, 3" mid stiles on narrow units. Looked pretty good to my eye. How narrow are you talking about? I think the closet doors and pairs I made were 2'0"? Sorry I'm a bit fuzzy on this but its been a while. I seem to recall the center stiles on the 3'0" doors being 1/2" greater, or equal to the stiles.

Jay Jolliffe
06-29-2009, 5:37 AM
The doors are sliding closet doors & they will be 2-0 each.