PDA

View Full Version : Elm HF critique requested

Bill Bolen
06-28-2009, 8:01 PM
Elm HF 8X5 taken from a ½ log with just a bit of pith evident at the spalted heartwood. I’m asking for a critique here because in MY opinion something is out of whack. I don’t know if the mouth is too large for the shoulder or the shoulder is too steep? Could be the curve to the bottom 1/3 is kind of lost? I really can’t figure it out. So let me know what you think is wrong. My old brain could sure use the help. 3 coats of DO and buffed…Bill..

George Morris
06-28-2009, 8:27 PM
Bill it looks good to me proportions look good ,I guess if I was to change anything the top looks a little to high? Form is right on for the rest! G

James Harrison
06-28-2009, 8:28 PM
I don't turn but it looks to be a little off center to the left of the picture.
But it looks great to me. Beautiful colors and finish.

David Dockstader
06-28-2009, 8:48 PM
I hate to be overly critical, so I think you are. I'm a perfectionist, too, and my wife is always telling me I see imperfections that no one else will ever see. It looks great. I think the off-center effect is caused by the grain. The proportions are good and the finish is beautiful. I would be proud to say I had done this.

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2009, 9:13 PM
David - Welcome to the Creek!

Bill - I think you did a real nice job on this one. I do think the lighting/shadow in the photo plays tricks with the lower curve of the piece. Hard to critique anything but I will submit this crude mod of your photo as a design option for you to think about.
Just my opinion, but I always liked it when the foot is smaller than the opening. In this case I felt the foot looked about right - the collar looked just a tad large. Like I said - just my opinion.

Scott Conners
06-28-2009, 9:43 PM
Two spots I's look at if it were mine - the curve in the bottom 1/3rd isn't continuous, and the collar detail is too tall. Really nice wood though!

Bernie Weishapl
06-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Bill I would have made the top opening slightly smaller and the opening not quite as high. The shoulders could be a little lower in height. The lower 1/3 of the curve could be just a little more continuous. Again just my humble opinion.

Richard Madison
06-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Bill,
You should definitely put it back on the lathe and reduce the diameter of the opening and the neck. And possibly remove the little step in the collar area. All the rest of the shape looks good from here. Many variations of shape (with smooth curvatures and transitions) can be good.

Bill Bolen
06-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions. Especially to Steve for taking the time to re work the photo. Guess a picture is worth a 1000 words holds true and sure makes me see what it could have been. Again,,,thanks...Bill...

Mike Minto
06-29-2009, 1:25 PM
Bill, the only thing I see 'wrong' with this piece is that I didn't turn it :p. No, really, I find your work both impressive and inspiring - very nice vase. Is this an end grain piece, and what are it's dimensions? Mike

Walt Nollan
06-29-2009, 3:20 PM
Bill all your stuff is fantastic! If I had to pick one thing it would be the middle third of HF looks a little flat. But I had to stare at it for ten minutes to think of that. I like all the pieces you have done, including this one.

Walt

Steve Kubien
06-29-2009, 4:33 PM
I'm with Walt... The middle third seems a little flat compared to the rest of the curve. I'm not sure if the opening is too big but I do think the neck is a little tall. Having said all of that, I would be happy if this came off my lathe. You asked for a critique so I am really nit-picking.

Great piece.

Steve

Jarrod McGehee
06-29-2009, 4:34 PM
I'd say the shoulder was just a bit too steep and it would work better if the mouth was smaller also. It's still nice though so don't rack your brain about it.

Bill Bolen
06-29-2009, 5:57 PM
thanks, no real "brain racking" just that something did not feel right about it and I just could not see it. size is 8X5 or so..Bill..

mike fuson
06-30-2009, 7:46 PM
Bill, my honest opinion is that the form is spot on, the foot is fine, the opening is fine. From the pic on the right, which is the one I am going by, I don't see any disruption in curve. When asked, I can nit pick with the best of them, I don't see anything to nit pick. The wood is very nice also.