PDA

View Full Version : Zing 24 aka: Mikes Folly

Michael Hardy
06-28-2009, 2:32 PM
Hi Sawmill Creekers,
You can call it a mid life crises, call it a needed distraction or call it a folly.
Well, that's what friends and family are thinking. Anyway, I'm hitting that mid point in life and I wanted to do something wacky. I was widowed about three years ago and I don't need to have an affair or find a girl friend. I live in San Diego, but I didn't want a convertible, and I'm raising two boys, so I can't really travel on a whim.

I started looking at Laser Engravers about 10 years ago, but raising kids and a taking care of a loved one with cancer took all my time. So here I am 10 years later and really late to the party. Now my boys are old enough to be of help in my business and I can expand my services and teach them some business skills.

My use of a Laser Engraver is more for a boutique applications, over production work like signs and badges. Anyway, My Zing 24 Arrived Thursday and I wanted to start participating in this forum.

I'll provide details and ask and answer questions as I find the time, and I really appreciate all of the information you all provide. I can't wait to be able to be as helpful in the future.

I don't have any real points to compare any other lasers, but so far, I had no issues with the delivery and setup, This morning I sent some sample jobs to the Zing and the laser fired and lights flashed and some things were marked. Now I'm getting the itch to burn something. Look out!

Mike

John Noell
06-28-2009, 2:38 PM
Welcome to the Creek! There aren't too many Zings around and we are eager to hear about yours. The threads here are incredibly helpful to people like us who are new and people here are really nice.

Dee Gallo
06-28-2009, 3:34 PM
Welcome to the Creek, you have a lot of company in the "itching to burn" things department. We all did the same thing at first, in fact, lots of us still burn new things just for fun here and there. Your boys are lucky to have you to teach them with such energy and enthusiasm.

Have fun and keep coming back,

cheers, dee

Leigh Costello
07-01-2009, 1:35 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek. You have just acquired the most important tool in your laser engraving toolbox. Search and find most of your answers here, there is so much to learn. I am still learning and still experimenting-btw someone suggested lasering a bratwurst before bbqing on the Fourth. What will come of this? I don't know but I told them to get their own laser and try it. Secretly wondering if ... nah, no food in the laser, no food in the laser....

Dave Garcia
07-01-2009, 6:56 PM
Hi Sawmill Creekers,
You can call it a mid life crises, call it a needed distraction or call it a folly.
Well, that's what friends and family are thinking. Anyway, I'm hitting that mid point in life and I wanted to do something wacky. I was widowed about three years ago and I don't need to have an affair or find a girl friend. I live in San Diego, but I didn't want a convertible, and I'm raising two boys, so I can't really travel on a whim.

I started looking at Laser Engravers about 10 years ago, but raising kids and a taking care of a loved one with cancer took all my time. So here I am 10 years later and really late to the party. Now my boys are old enough to be of help in my business and I can expand my services and teach them some business skills.

My use of a Laser Engraver is more for a boutique applications, over production work like signs and badges. Anyway, My Zing 24 Arrived Thursday and I wanted to start participating in this forum.

I'll provide details and ask and answer questions as I find the time, and I really appreciate all of the information you all provide. I can't wait to be able to be as helpful in the future.

I don't have any real points to compare any other lasers, but so far, I had no issues with the delivery and setup, This morning I sent some sample jobs to the Zing and the laser fired and lights flashed and some things were marked. Now I'm getting the itch to burn something. Look out!

Mike

Hey Mike,

Welcome to SMC! This is a great place to start in the laser engraver business. Lots of friendly people who are willing to help get you headed in the right direction. And many times they even give you step by step procedures on how to do something you are trying for the first time.

Sounds like you've had just a "little" more than a mid life crisis. A bump in the road like you've had to endure is something anyone would dread. It appears by your post that you are well on your way to getting on with your life, especially with two young men to raise.

By the way, I'm just up the coast in Port Hueneme, and do get down to SD to visit friends now and then. Maybe we could meet for coffee and exchange laser ideas? I'm a Mac user and just bought a LaserPro C180; sort of a comperable unit to your Zing. Looked at the Zing but needed a unit with a Mac driver. Epilog, UL, etc, don't have one. LaserPro does. Anyway, having just started this expanded part of my wood working business I've gone through and am going through some of the same growing pains and issues that you have and or will. Please get back to me with quesitons of any kind. No sense in reinventing the wheel.

Again, welcome to SMC! Hope to see many posts from you on down the road!

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd