PDA

View Full Version : Just went to look

George Sanders
06-28-2009, 10:40 AM
I only went to the auction to take a look, I swear! But I came home with these. I already had a jigsaw of this model number, but at $4.00 I couldn't resist it. I really do need the RAS. I shelled out a c-note for it. This is the forerunner of Delta's first RAS as they bought out Red Star in 1950. I have some rather large boards to rip and crosscut and this 12" saw should fill the bill. I will remove the casters as they don't lock. It also has the owners manual and a flyer for saw blades. I also bought the "west side of the shed" for $5. Iwill be spending the rest of the day hauling wood. Much of it will just go in a burn pile but there were some large timbers in there so I figure I didn't get hurt.

John Keeton
06-28-2009, 10:51 AM
I only went to the auction to take a look, I swear!Reminds me of Clinton's comment "I didn't inhale and never tried it again." I didn't believe him then, either:D

As self confessed tool addicts, we must confront our own demons - they live at auctions!!! What better place to come face to face with our weaknesses!;)

Joe Petersen
06-28-2009, 3:49 PM
No need to explain why you spent $9. I think you got a good deal.
How heavy is that scroll saw? Looks pretty substantial.

John Keeton
06-28-2009, 4:57 PM
Joe, you missed the part about the C note on the RAS! Still a great day for George unless he herniates a disc loading and hauling the "west side of the shed.":eek:

George Sanders
06-28-2009, 7:53 PM
I dug around in the shed and only found a few good boards. One 16'x3 1/2"x7" southern pine. About 3 more just under 8" and 3 16' 1x6 untreated tongue and groove. Quite a few oak roughsawn about 2x7 four and five feet long. All for $5.
I did good last week at a yard sale. I bought 46 BF of walnut and 16 Bf of clear white oak for $115. Most of it was at least 2'' thick.
I just paid for it and the woman said her husband had to give up woodworking after his open heart surgery. I find that very sad and it explains why everything was priced to sell. I later used an online BF calculator and found I had paid $1.98 @Bf for the walnut and $1.45 @BF for the oak.

Peter Quinn
06-28-2009, 9:55 PM
Good finds George. I go to a local outdoor flea market every Sunday, Just to look. I bring some money with me, just in case. Every once in a while I score pretty well.

Wife asks "If your just going to look why are you bringing money with you" as she laughs at me. Come to think of it when I met my wife i was just looking....:D.

David DeCristoforo
06-28-2009, 11:04 PM
"Come to think of it when I met my wife i was just looking....."

Did you have any money with you?

George Sanders
06-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Plugged in the RAS today. Ran it up to full rpm. Shut it off. That 12" blade spun for nearly a full minute before it stopped. Don't need bearings there. This thing does scare me though. I have what I think is a healthy respect for it. The scroll saw purrs like a kitten. Doesn't need more than new paint. I forgot to mention I also got a like new Drill Doctor for $10 at the same sale.