PDA

View Full Version : Walnut

George Bledsoe
08-27-2004, 10:08 AM
I have a question for folks that use Walnut. How much are you paying for Walnut 4/4 rough sawn air dried. I am curious and I have been thinking of doing something so I am just curious who is using walnut and what they are paying for it.

Thanks

George

Jim Becker
08-27-2004, 10:20 AM
My current supply is "free" as it was milled on the property, but my local supplier asks $2-2.50 bd ft for black walnut.

Brad Risley
08-27-2004, 12:08 PM
My current supply is "free" as it was milled on the property, but my local supplier asks $2-2.50 bd ft for black walnut.

I just paid $5 a bdft. Thankfully I did not buy much.

Kent Cori
08-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Wall Lumber (http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp) has 100 bf for $325 plus truck shipping. I just finished a headboard and nightstand using their walnut and was very satisfied with the quality and accurate quantity.

I have no affiliation with them, I'm just a satisfied customer.

Carl Eyman
08-27-2004, 1:00 PM
But Ive paid as much as $6 and as little as $3.75. The latter at Service Lumber in Baton Rouge LA. Good stuff, too. In fairness to our local yard the $6 stuff was 12" wide.

David Rose
08-27-2004, 8:24 PM
Most of my projects have been under 4', so I get S2S air dried "shorts" from a local mill. The guy mills it to just over 3/4" thick in many cases, so I have to take a tape and be pretty selective to pick wood that is thick enough to get out irregularities. He allows this, so it works out fine. I give $1.50 for this, and it is locally harvested. He will not sort it by the log or anything like that. I get what is straight enough and thick enough. But I feel pretty blessed at that.

David

Rick Burson
08-28-2004, 12:10 AM
George,
I picked some up a month or so ago for a very reasonable $2/bdft. :)

Of course, I bought it from you. :D If you're looking to get rid of some more, I remember how to get there. :cool:

Christopher Pine
08-28-2004, 11:54 AM
A little over a year ago I bought some air dried walnut for $1.00 a board foot. I don't know what his was graded at.. I would guess it is like #1 or #2 common. Was rough sawn and air dried. I never bought this lower grade before and it definately had some issues.. It was some of the most twisty stuff I ever seen. so little more effort when working with it was necessary but I Have been happy with it in general. SO lowest I have paid is $1.00 bf. I know paxton locally here in Denver sells it anywhere from $4 bf and up depending.
I would agree with most other posts around $3 to $4 a bf or lower is probably fair... every once in a while you get a good deal though like I did.
Also last year two other frineds of mine and I bought little over 600 board ft of cherry from out of state company and had it shipped. After all said and done came to about $3.35 a board foot.(that was including shipping) I came upon this deal on ebay believe it or not. Let us know what you find! I like the wood deal stories!
Picture of coffee tabe from this walnut I purchased.

Chris