PDA

View Full Version : Manipulating Fonts in Corel, who knew?

Scott Shepherd
06-28-2009, 10:10 AM
I was speaking with a guy recently about fonts and he repeatedly mentioned adjusting the fonts in Corel with a right click. I couldn't figure out what he was talking about until just now. Now I feel unusually stupid for not knowing this. It certainly would have saved me some time.

In the attached image, you'll see 3 lines of the same text. The first line is normal, the 2nd line has had the kerning adjusted with the mouse, not having to go into Paragraph formatting, etc. And the 3rd line had letters physically moved as well as rotated, all without breaking it apart or converting it to curves.

If you select text, and select the tool at #1, you'll see it brings up small squares, much like node adjustments tools, under each letter of the text, as well as a odd looking thing for adjusting vertical and horizontal spacing, shown in positions #2. If you drag out the one on the right (Position #2), it will give you the appearance shown in "Normal Text" on Line 2, with the kerning adjusted wider.

If you click on any of the individual squares under a letter, you can do what you want with it. When you click on the box under a letter, it only impacts that letters. I have selected Position #3 in this example and you can see the box filled in. On the character formatting to the right of the screen, you can see I have rotated this one letter 15 degrees. On Position #4, I selected the letter and dragged it to a new location without ever having to break it apart.

Who knew? I certainly didn't know you could do all that with normal text. I'll be using that to adjust kerning from now on. Very quick, very visual tool, which really helps in adjusting letter spacing.

Hope this helped someone!

Steve Clarkson
06-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Great tip! Thanks!

Larry Bratton
06-28-2009, 11:06 AM
What! You mean you didn't know that? ...just kidding. I didn't either. Thanks for the tip.

Michael Hunter
06-28-2009, 11:49 AM
That is incredibly useful Scott! Thanks for posting it.

I'm forever trying to match people's logos etc. and have always had to convert to curves and break apart before manipulating. Now, (so long as I can remember how to do it) I can fiddle the easy way.

Susan Rushing
06-28-2009, 1:48 PM
Thanks for a GREAT tip! Susan

Stephen Kane
06-28-2009, 2:14 PM
Nice one Scott!

Thanks

Stephen

Gary Hair
06-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Here is another way to adjust kerning:

Type some text, put the I bar between the badly kerned letters.

Ctrl-Shift-> increases the space.
Ctrl-Shift-< decreases the space.

It DOES NOT affect any of the parameters in the text formatting box in the dropdowns. It is just a simple kern.

Thanks to Harvey on Engraving Etc. for that one!

Gary

Anthony Welch
06-29-2009, 4:43 AM
Great tip, thanks Scott!

Anthony

Mike Null
06-29-2009, 8:56 AM
Steve

What do you mean you didn't know about this. An old pro like you? You can also move the letters with the arrow keys when in this mode.

kyle bonnell
06-29-2009, 12:16 PM
I found that trick a couple months ago messing around. I saw the little squares and thought "hmmm....what do those do?" It is really nice to use when you are putting text around objects like circles and other curves because they bunch up sometimes when you just click (fit text to path).

Albert Nix
06-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Has anyone tried this with x4? When I select the text the small squares show up but all I get when I hoover over the square is the little 4 way arrow that moves all of the text around not each letter. Also I do not see the buttons that let you change the horizontal and vertical spacing.

Tom Bull
06-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Al, did you remember to use the shape tool selection (f10) first?

Mike Null
06-30-2009, 11:55 AM
You have to select the square you want to move.

Albert Nix
06-30-2009, 11:58 AM
I missed that. I thought he was using the plain select tool at the top but I see differently now. Yeah it works fine if you do it right Thanks!!