PDA

View Full Version : another burl

Graham Sugar
06-28-2009, 5:40 AM
Hi All
Finished this Mallee Burl platter last week It is 39cm x 27 cm and stands 4cm high.. It was a lot of fun to turn a bit like trying to trim the edge of a propeller with the engine running:p:p
Tried somthing a bit diffrent with the finish it was sanded to 800 and then about 6 coats of nitro cellouse sealer, wet cut between coats with 1200 wet/dry the idea was to fill all the small indents in the grain and present as smooth a surface as possible it was then sprayed by a pannel shop mate with 6 coats of "kyrstal" clear automotive lacquer. I am happy with the result but next time I think about going this way I will use Rustins plasticoat or even "Glasscoat it is much more forgiving than the automotive finish
look forward to your comments
Graham

Maria Alvarado
06-28-2009, 6:08 AM
Hi Graham,
Beautiful piece! That finish was definitely worth the trouble, it looks glass smooth and really showcases the grain. Really nice work.

alex carey
06-28-2009, 6:18 AM
The wood is just so beautiful, it really looks great, I love this piece.

Norm Zax
06-28-2009, 6:28 AM
At times, great burl (such as this) reminds me of a nice thick cut of sirloin. A beauty!
ps. how much does one pay for such a blank?

Graham Sugar
06-28-2009, 6:59 AM
At times, great burl (such as this) reminds me of a nice thick cut of sirloin. A beauty!
ps. how much does one pay for such a blank?

That one cost $25.00 Aust
I get them from a dealer in a small town called Bodala on the south coast of NSW his main trade is slabs for bench tops and the burls are a sideline.. Luckyfor me my sister lives there and brings them up when she visits.. you take potluck on what you get I have had a 300mm burl that I cut up for pens it just could not be turned as a whole but there is a great deal of beauty just waiting to be released in most of them
Regards
Graham

Jeff Nicol
06-28-2009, 7:03 AM
Graham, I love the color of the mallee burl, and this one of yours is wonderful! I think the finish really brought the grain to another level! Like asked before, how much do you have to pay for a burl such as this? We in the states might get it for $15-$20 a pound! That is pretty pricey but sometimes we love the out come!

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

curtis rosche
06-28-2009, 8:07 AM
you should tryi one of those clear epoxies. put what ever finish you want on the wood to bring the grain out or what ever, then put on some clear epoxy. you will get a buffable surface that is like glass

Bernie Weishapl
06-28-2009, 9:32 AM
Graham that is a beautiful piece. Finish was well worth the effort as it let the color show really nice.

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Very nice work Graham! You sure did a great job on the finish! All the extra work you put in on sanding sure brought the color and burl patterns to life! Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Chris Rae
06-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Beautiful!!! Looks like a perfect finish on a wonderful piece of work!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Graham,

Gorgeous piece! Wood, form....finish! Gorgeous piece! Nicely done sir!