PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw values declining?

Tim Faust
06-27-2009, 10:03 PM
I was at an auction today and saw a fairly new 110/240 Unisaw w/Biesemeyer fence go for $425. When I got home I looked through CL and found prices from $300-$800. Any opinions on a fair value these days?

Is it the new model? Or, has Delta made so many over the years that they saturated the market?

Chris Rosenberger
06-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Auctions are not a good indicator. The economy my be having an effect. There are a lot of Unisaws on the market at this time. There are also a lot of different bands of cabinet saws on the market.

Bruce Wrenn
06-27-2009, 10:52 PM
There used to be only two choices when it came to a cabinet saw, either a Uni, or PM 66. In the last few years several more choices have been added (Jet Super Saw, Grizzly 1023, General, Sawstop, Steel City, plus several hybrids etc.) The Uni has always been cheaper than the PM 66. Here locally is a PM 66, missing dust door, for $750. But the greatest influence on prices is the blabs on the six o'clock news about how bad things are. People are just sitting on their money. This week on craigslist was a Rockwell center pivot 12" RAS for $190. Same saw new is about $2700. It took FOUR days to sell. In the past, it would have been gone is less than an hour. I waited until the fifth day to contact poster, and he said I was only the second reply.

Karl Brogger
06-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Supply and demand. The market is pretty well flooded with used equipment on the cheap. If you're looking to buy used tooling, now is a really good time, and it might get better. I've noticed a local online auction service has had fewer cabinet shops on it lately though.

scott spencer
06-28-2009, 10:23 AM
I've read that some feel that the lack of riving knife is depressing the value of current Uni's and other used saws. The economy is a big variable too.

Mike Hollingsworth
06-28-2009, 10:29 AM
The Saw Stop has redrawn the playing field. Schools are dumping perfectly operating saws for the safety upgrade. Most of these are well maintained, perfectly operating machines that will still cut your hot dog in half.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-28-2009, 1:39 PM
A friend of mine picked up a good 220V 52 inch Uni with Biesimier (sp?) for 600 bucks because a shop upgraded to a SS.

I would want a riving knife though. As a minimum of safety features. I usually use my kitchen knife to cut hot dogs though. I would imagine that using a table saw to cut hot dogs would make it smell....

Cary Falk
06-28-2009, 2:00 PM
People on CL around here still want $1200 for used Unisaws. Location, location, location. I found one for $400 but it needed a lot of work.

Jim Andrew
06-28-2009, 11:31 PM
The economy certainly seems to be affecting many purchases. It is mine. Find my income compared to last year has slipped considerably. Enough to affect my purchases. As for the unisaw, not going to give mine up. Best saw I've ever had. With the biesemeyer fence and a shark guard, hard to beat. I don't plan to stick my hand into the blade, knock on wood.