PDA

View Full Version : Pondering options for a router table top

Jeff Dege
06-27-2009, 6:42 PM
I have a Freud 1700 that I'd like to build a table for. Or rather, not a table, but a table top I can cantilever off the side of my workbench. I'm sure you've all seen the plans.

My question is what to use for the top. What I'm thinking is laminating two pieces of 3/4" sheet goods. My initial thought is to use Melamine over MDF, since the Melamine would give me a nice, easily-cleaned top surface. And my local Borg has both in 2'x4' sheets for a reasonable price.

Would I have any trouble gluing Melamine to MDF? Should I roughen up the bottom surface of the Melamine first?

Half of the top will be flat on my bench, I plan on building a supporting framework under the other half from some aspen I have lying around. I'd also planned on edging the top with 1/2" aspen. Would I have any problems gluing the aspen to the edges of the MDF/Melamine? Or would I need mechanical fasteners, as well?

Or would edging the thing be unnecessary work?

Jason Hallowell
06-27-2009, 7:06 PM
My router table top is 3/4" ply underneath, and 3/4" melamine coated particle board on top. The two pieces of sheet goods are only held together by screws, one at each corner, 4 through the router plate, and about 6 in the miter slot and fence slots. I edged it with some mesquite scraps, which are held on with glue and finish nails. Edging is important to prevent the melamine from chipping. It's held up well for the first year of serious abuse, and looks like it will continue to do so for many more.

E W Wilkinson
06-27-2009, 7:17 PM
I used a cut-off from an old solid core door. Totally flat and stable. Glued some surplus Formica to the to and routed in dados for T-Track for featherboards and for back fence.

Rich Engelhardt
06-27-2009, 8:10 PM
Hello Jeff,
I asked a similar question about a year ago.
It was suggesed to me that I use Kreg pocket screws - which I did.

I've also glued borg Melamine w/gel super glue for a couple of fences for the drill press & table saw. Works fine.

A word about the borg Melamine though.
It's not the nice heavy stuff that will stand up to about anything.
You have to go to a cabinet grade for that.

The borg stuff can be scratched - gouged - and otherwise marred.
Of course, we're taking router top here, not workbench.
Still, you need to take care w/it.

sean m. titmas
06-27-2009, 8:31 PM
i laminated 2 layers of MDF and than laid up some P-lam for the top. its very stable and has a slick surface.

Jeff Dege
06-27-2009, 9:52 PM
i laminated 2 layers of MDF and than laid up some P-lam for the top. its very stable and has a slick surface.
I've considered using some sort of laminate, but I'm not sure what to use, or where to get it. Or, for that matter, how to glue it. P-lam is? And I can get it where?

I feel confident that I'm getting sufficient pressure when laminating MDF with screws, but my "shop" is rather primitive at this point. The best I could do is to cover the laminate with a sheet of MDF and pile a bunch of junk on it.