PDA

View Full Version : Lost a couple of old fiends today and I couldn't be happier!

Kent Cori
08-26-2004, 9:09 PM
I lost a couple of loyal, hardworking, reliable friends today and it feels great. Early this morning Deputy Mike picked up two power tools that I donated to the Florida Sheriffs’ Youth Ranch. (http://www.youthranches.org/index.htm) The first was my venerable (two years old) Delta CMS and the second was my only slightly less venerable Ryobi bench drill press. I threw in the CMS stand/cabinet for good measure. I recently replaced both with more powerful (and of course more expensive :D ) tools and was thinking of selling the two at a garage sale or even on the SMC Classifieds section. Then I remembered the TV adds for the Youth Ranch and it occurred to me that the kids there could put these tools to great use.

Many states have similar facilities and programs. I donated a couple of cars to the one in Wisconsin years ago. The Florida program has facilities for both boys and girls and it accepts all colors, races, creeds and sizes. These specific tools went to the woodworking shop at the Boys Ranch that houses about 80 youths. It is located about 50 miles north of me in Live Oak, FL. The ranch is a residential group child care facility for neglected, unsupervised, and troubled boys between the ages of eight and eighteen. These kids are not serious criminals or habitual offenders but they don’t have any other viable options for a safe and healthy living situation. The residents receive both formal schooling and religious instruction but more importantly they learn life’s basic values and develop self esteem. They spend about a year (sometimes more) at these facilities and most are then reunited with their families. Thousands of kids who didn’t have an opportunity for a good start in life have graduated to become strong contributors to society.

When you replace your next tool, consider donating it to a similar charitable organization. The people it serves will likely appreciate your old power tools much more than you ever did. Besides, you can always tell your LOML, “But dear, I’m only buying this new Superdoopermatic cabinet saw so I can donate my old contractor’s saw to the kids!” :)

John Miliunas
08-26-2004, 9:19 PM
Good for you, Kent! :) We did the same with one of our vehicles last year. Nice SUV, actually. Only needed a new fuel pump and a little TLC. :cool:

Tyler Howell
08-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Great Idea Kent. I've done cars, bikes, clothes, & house hold items but never concidered Tools (Give tools away:eek: :eek:)

Thanks on both ends,;)

Tony Falotico
08-27-2004, 6:37 AM
Way to go Kent ........ The Florida Sheriffs’ Youth Ranch is a great program. Many of the Sheriffs I come in contact with in our district are active supporters.

Dennis Peacock
08-27-2004, 10:50 PM
Way to go Kent....!!! It's always good to help when and where needed.

James Carmichael
08-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Great deal, Kent!

But did you intend refer to your old tools as "fiends" , or was dropping the "r" a Freudian slip?

Kent Cori
08-31-2004, 3:06 PM
James,

Oops! No Freudian slip, just poor typing abilities and I've corrected my error. Both tools were well worth every penny I spent for them. If they can help a kid even a little to stay on the straight and narrow, I'll consider my investment paid a hundred times over.