PDA

View Full Version : Do you use wood conditioner when staining pine?

Louis Brandt
06-27-2009, 5:22 PM
Hello,

I’m wondering whether any of you use wood conditioner when staining pine. In years past, I was always told that soft woods like pine tend to “blotch” when stained, unless a wood conditioner is applied first, then the stain.

I’m getting ready to stain some pine (this is select pine), for some shelves, and I want the finished product to look good. Do any of you use a wood conditioner (like Minwax wood conditioner) before staining pine?

Thanks,
Louis

Julian Nicks
06-27-2009, 5:48 PM
Definately, YES! I made the mistake a long time ago and ruined the piece I built. The color will come out way too dark, and will probably end up looking blotchy.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-27-2009, 6:15 PM
I've been well satisfied with the results I get from Minwax WC.

glenn bradley
06-27-2009, 6:18 PM
I use very thin shellac.

Neal Clayton
06-27-2009, 8:34 PM
same. clear shellac works fine.

Julie Rose
06-27-2009, 9:52 PM
Pine does not blotch if you use a gel stain.

Julie

Brad Wood
06-28-2009, 10:24 AM
if you use the minwax wc, allow it to dry for a day rather then the couple hours indicated on the label... you will get better results

this might be true for other things as well, but I've read about this and tested it first hand specifically with the minwax

Scott Holmes
06-28-2009, 3:12 PM
Another trick that will save you the expense and trouble of buying another can of product is to wipe the pine with mineral spirits (assuming you are using an oil stain) just before you stain the mineral spirits will soak in and lessen the
"blotch"

This trick is especially useful when staining endgrain of hard or softwood.

Chris Padilla
06-29-2009, 1:27 PM
The problem with pine is the wild variation in grain density. Blotching is born from stain soaking in too much in one spot and not enough in another spot.

Everyone has provided sound advice thus far. What you want to do is to prevent the stain from soaking in too much; keep it more or less on the surface of the wood and don't let it get down too deep.

Stopping up the pores is good and is what a "wood conditioner" does. All a "wood conditioner" is is thinned finish...like a 1/2# cut of shellac or thinned (wiping) varnish or thinned lacquer. You just want enough to stop up or seal the pores a bit, put your stain on, more finish on top of that.

Or, use a gel stain...it doesn't soak in very well and tends to stay on the surface.

Louis Brandt
06-29-2009, 1:29 PM
Hello,
Well, I've taken everyone's advice and used a gel stain. I did apply the wood conditioner first, then let it dry (overnight), then used a gel stain. The results look pretty good, so I'm pleased with it.
Thanks for all of the good (as always) advice.
Louis