PDA

View Full Version : Tonneau covers

Randal Stevenson
06-27-2009, 4:48 PM
I am looking for a tonneau cover, that still allows you to have hooks in your stake pockets, and will fold up towards the front. Prefering a soft cover after hearing some horror stories about the hard/rolling kind.

Who here has something similar, what brand and type? How do you like it (and anything you would do differently, including not buying one)?

Thanks

Eric Larsen
06-27-2009, 7:06 PM
Am I the only person thinking, "for a two-seat convertible automobile?"

That's the only tonneau cover I know of.

Matt Meiser
06-27-2009, 8:27 PM
I've always had the basic soft tonneau from Extang which is locally made. They are good quality but a real pain to put on in the cold. For this truck I was going to go without but we decided it was needed on the first trip to Costco. I considered a hard top but the dealers I talked to said they are a real pain to remove. I ended up with a Bakflip HD cover which I'm very happy with so far. It is a hard cover but folds against the cab and locks when you need to carry something big. Price is somewhat lower than a painted cover. PM me for a couple sources.

Joe Pelonio
06-27-2009, 9:39 PM
I have the Xtang full tilt. It buttons but is also hinged. I have yet to use the buttons in over two years, because it's so easy to remove it myself in under one minute.

Curt Harms
06-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Similar to the Bakflip. I have an older version. The biggest fault with mine is the locking system. It looks like the new one is better. Here are installation instructions (http://advancecover.com/instructions.php) which give an idea of how it works. Mine is probably not as watertight as a cap but I haven't had any water issues either. The biggest downside of the hard cover vs. a topper is hauling taller stuff. It might fit in a topper but be too tall for a cover. OTOH there is no height limit if you don't mind the load being exposed. As with most things there are tradeoffs any way you go. The rollup covers might be a good choice where there's no snow or ice.

HTH

Curt

Jeffrey Makiel
06-28-2009, 12:03 PM
I agree with Matt. The Extang soft covers are very hard to take off and put back on in the winter. A pair of duckbill pliers, or sheetmetal pliers are needed.

I currently have a hard cover that hinges using gas lifting shocks. It is nearly 12 years old now. However, it takes two people (minimum) to take it off. Although it's heavy and clumsy, no tools are needed to take it off. But you must plan ahead since it cannot be rolled up and stored on your truck like a soft cover.

On the positive side, the hard cover very secure because it's lockable. It also has a cleaner appearance in my opinion, but you must have it painted to match your truck.

-Jeff :)

Rob Russell
06-28-2009, 9:36 PM
I had a Checkmate cover on my truck (now sold - miss it). It's a 1-piece cover with struts that lift it up. I also had the quick release hinge. I could pull the cover off in less than a minute and it was the 8' cover. I did have the top of the cover sprayed with Rhino to match the full bed spray.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=10731&d=1095939118

Cary Falk
06-29-2009, 1:17 AM
I had a Lund Vinyl cover with the snaps. I was difficult to put on in the cold. I bought it when I lived in Colorado. Within a year of moving to Portland, OR, the weather ate it for lunch. All the stiching rotted out. I have yet to find one that is easy off, doesn't take much space for storage, doesn't take up much room in the bed.

Mark Patoka
06-29-2009, 8:10 AM
I have the Access Lorado and since it has velcro attachments on the rails, there is no problem with "shrinkage" in the winter and trying to attach with snaps. I don't need the security of a hardcover and this one has been working great.

Orion Henderson
06-29-2009, 10:11 AM
I have a BakFlip that I really like. Allows you to fold up and hold tall stuff while still being lockable.

Eddie Watkins
06-29-2009, 11:43 AM
I have an Access roll-up cover with velcro strips to hold the sides. It works well for me because if I need to load something tall while I'm away from home I can roll it up. I ddi get a locking handle for my tailgate so I could lock the taligate which essentially locks the bed. Of course, somebody could cut the cover and get in if they wanted to.

Greg Peterson
06-29-2009, 12:10 PM
I have a fleet of 23 Totyota Tacoma's and have tried a variety of covers of the years. Access makes a very good soft cover that is easy to install and rolls out of the way very easily.

I have been using Truxedo soft covers for that past few years now and find their product to be better engineered. One of the biggest improvements is the velcro strip on the metal frame is actually a solid plastic piece that is riveted to the metal frame wereas the Access cover glues a velcro strip to the metal railing. The velcro material will lose its adhesion and wear out. The Truxedo velco is a much heavier duty design and won't peel off.

Truxedo, in my experience, is far better than Access.

Craig Coney
06-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Have you checked into the Re-Trax covers? I have had one for a year, no problems, works well, and made in the USA. I know a few other owners, and no problems with theirs either.

Curt Harms
06-29-2009, 4:21 PM
Have you checked into the Re-Trax covers? I have had one for a year, no problems, works well, and made in the USA. I know a few other owners, and no problems with theirs either.

Great looking units but where I live we get a lot of slush and ice. Above freezing during the day and below freezing at night. I have a truck that only sees a garage from the outside, I was concerned about getting them clean enough to operate. Have you had any issues with that?

Mike Wilkins
06-30-2009, 9:36 AM
I have had the Fold-A-Cover for a couple of years now and it is great. It keeps 99.5% of the rain out of the bed, easily folds up, access from the front or the rear, and it is locking at both ends. Has come in very handy during the many trips moving the daughter to and from college. Check their web site.

Craig Coney
06-30-2009, 10:44 AM
The only issue I have had was one blizzard this spring that froze it on one side, but it only took 15 minutes to thaw out once the sun hit it. It does seal very well for a retractable unit, and you can still drop your tailgate if it does get frozen. In CO, we get the blowing freezing rain, sleet, and heavy snow, or everything is warm enough to melt the blowing snow, then it freezes so we get a nice sheet of ice on everything before the snow. I live at 6800 ft so we get more snow & ice typically than the Denver area. It also handles the snow load well also and for the most part, the snow does not sick to it. My truck only sees the outside of my garage as well.

Brian J Page
06-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Another recommendation for the Access Cover here. Finally a topic here on SMC that I feel qualified to comment on. I had an Access Cover on my F150 (until I traded the truck for a car). It did well in the sun and heat of Southern California and just as well in the winter in Wisconsin. One nice thing is being able to adjust the tension on the cover so it doesn't flap in the wind. Anyway, that's my $.02.