PDA

View Full Version : Veneering How To's

Mark Mitten
08-26-2004, 8:17 PM
I just started to get into veneering some projects. I was wondering how other people like to do their veneering and compare notes. Here is a picture of my most recent project.

Mark

Alan Tolchinsky
08-26-2004, 8:34 PM
Mark, I just got into veneering and do all mine with a simple vacumn press that I built. It's the only method I've done so far. That is a beautiful speaker cabinet; how did you do that? I'm thinking of building some speakers myself; I already have the bass drivers(12") that I took out of two passive subs I built a long time ago. Alan

Mark Mitten
08-26-2004, 8:52 PM
I cut the walnut sheet to size then cut it where I wanted the 1/2" cherry stripes. Then used clear packing tape and taped it all together. I layed out where I wanted the diamond, them taped the purple heart on top of my peice and double cut it. Then taped it into place. I used contact cement to adhere it to the speaker cabinet.

Mark

Betsy Yocum
08-27-2004, 9:21 AM
I just started to get into veneering some projects. I was wondering how other people like to do their veneering and compare notes. Here is a picture of my most recent project.

Mark
For "just started" that's pretty darn impressive - I could only wish for my "just started"'s to look that good.

Great job Mark!!! - Double smiley for you!!! :) :)

_____
Betsy

Mark Mitten
08-27-2004, 7:32 PM
I have been doing woodworking over half my life. I build custom cabinets and furniture for a living. Like I said, this is only my second attempt at veneering. I know that there or more and probably easier ways to veneer. That is what I would like to learn. Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks Betsy I'm glad you like it.

Mark

Dennis Peacock
08-27-2004, 7:48 PM
Mark,

You did really good.!!!! The most popular method for veneer work is via vacuum press. I don't have one and all my veneer work has been small enough to use standard white glue and lots of clamps. Turned out nice. Just wish I knew of a cheap way to get a vacuum setup. :rolleyes:

Alan Tolchinsky
08-27-2004, 7:53 PM
Mark,

You did really good.!!!! The most popular method for veneer work is via vacuum press. I don't have one and all my veneer work has been small enough to use standard white glue and lots of clamps. Turned out nice. Just wish I knew of a cheap way to get a vacuum setup. :rolleyes:

Dennis, I set up a vacumn system for around $150. I bought a used vacumn on ebay, they have a lot of them, and made a bag myself. Joewoodworking.com has all the info. It's really not too expensive getting into vacumn veneering. Alan in Md.

Dennis Peacock
08-27-2004, 7:56 PM
Dennis, I set up a vacumn system for around $150. I bought a used vacumn on ebay, they have a lot of them, and made a bag myself. Joewoodworking.com has all the info. It's really not too expensive getting into vacumn veneering. Alan in Md.

Then....what do I need to be looking for in a used v-pump? :confused: