PDA

View Full Version : Bent router bit shaft

Nathan Callender
06-27-2009, 3:55 PM
Hey all -

Okay, today I started working on making some raised panel doors using hard maple. I was routing out the stiles and rails, actually just getting the bit set properly and making a test cut when the bit caught and kicked the board back. This was a new, supposedly sharp bit from woodline. Anyway, it has a 1/4" shank and when I inspected it, I found the shank bent, rather substantially, as in, I can see the deformation just by looking at it.

So, has this happened to anyone else? (Duh, I'm sure it has). Do you think the bit was bad, or ar 1/4 shank bits this fragile? Should I try bending the shank back straight or should I send the bit back to Woodline?

I'm sort of bummed because I'd really wanted to knock out a good number of door today. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to work on something else (there's a big tree stump in the back yard that I'm trying to get rid of - not nearly as fun).

Jason Hallowell
06-27-2009, 4:09 PM
With the high RPM's of a router, I wouldn't risk trying to bend it back and then using it. Even a slight deviation will eliminate all accuracy, not to mention the potential for serious injury if it breaks at the now weakened area. As far as whether or not the bit was bad, or if this is common, I have no idea. 1/4" shanks have never looked substantial enough to me, especially for profiling. The only 1/4" bits I use are flush trim bits in my little trim router, and that's only because it's the only size collet it accepts.

Don Abele
06-27-2009, 4:13 PM
Nathan, like you already indicated, there are many instances of 1/4" shafts getting bent or even sheared off. BTDT.

In my case, it was early on in my woodworking. A lot of my bits were 1/4" due to cost. However, my only router was 3 HP Craftsman that I got real cheap at a yard sale. I was using a 1/4" shafted two-wing slot cutter. The bit caught something in the wood and kicked back hard. Broke off a wing and bent the shaft on the bit. Wing caught me in the left forearm and took a really nice bite of flesh. :eek:

Almost all of my bits are now 1/2", except for those which are not available in that size or the bits that I use in my little Bosch Colt. For my 1/4" bits I use my 1 3/4 HP router and use light pressure. I would never even think of using them in a bigger router - there's just too much torque for such a small shank.

As for the bit...mine sits as a reminder to be careful (I never found the piece that hit me in the arm). It is NOT salvagable.

Glad you didn't get hurt.

Be well,

Doc

Joe Scharle
06-27-2009, 4:29 PM
Yes, you can expect 1/4" bits to break & bend. I wouldn't trust any attempt to straighten the bit.

lowell holmes
06-27-2009, 5:34 PM
If you search this site, there is a string that has a message in it from the president of Woodline. He said if a problem with any of their products to contact him. He even gave his cel number. I'd send it back.

Nathan Callender
06-27-2009, 5:53 PM
If you search this site, there is a string that has a message in it from the president of Woodline. He said if a problem with any of their products to contact him. He even gave his cel number. I'd send it back.

I'll give them a call on Monday. They do seem like a pretty decent company. The more I've thought about it, the more surprised I am because it really didn't kick back hard at all - more like it tore the wood and then I noticed a drop in rpm (noise) and turned the router off and as it spun down I noticed the bit was wobbling. Maybe it's a bad shank, who knows, but I'll send it back to see what they can do. Maybe I'll try to get them switched out for 1/2" bits as this was the first time I used this set.

I guess I've learned my lesson and will probably stick with 1/2" in the future (or bite the bullet and get a shaper???? :-) )

David DeCristoforo
06-27-2009, 6:04 PM
I once bent a 1/2" shaper spindle bad enough that the cutter gouged a big half moon in the C.I. top by running a panel raiser on the half inch spindle and having a panel "catch" just like you described. I also got a very fine and rather large and ugly bruise on my thigh. The next day I bought a shaper with a 1 1/4" spindle (and, needless to say, a new cutter!). Of course, "back then" I was young and foolish. Now I'm old and foolish but I still run my panel raisers on big spindles!

glenn bradley
06-27-2009, 6:23 PM
Woodline bits are not exactly top of the line but I have a couple. They are great for profiles you want to try out and see if they will become something you will use regularly. A flush trim bit of theirs was not quite flush. I emailed their CS and got a quick polite reply saying they were sending me a replacement.

I have talked to them at the shows as well and everyone seems very nice and knowledgeable about their offerings. I would imagine a call or email to them would get you a replacement.

P.s. As others have said I only use 1/4" shaft bits in my Colt. The exception is a 1/4" spiral in my plunge for mortises.

Jim Boyett
06-27-2009, 9:14 PM
Be sure the collet was tight and there was no dirt in it. If the bit slipped down a little it would be more likely to catch. Sears routers used to be known for this "feature". Also try to take the cut in multiple passes if you will be removing a lot of material.

- Jim
Santa Rosa, CA

Nathan Callender
06-29-2009, 9:00 PM
Well, I called woodline today, and got the president. He was happy to hear there were no injuries. :-) He pretty much said, 'you really should buy 1/2" shank bits' and hooked me up with an upgrade for a reasonable discount. I do wish the manufacturers would make a bigger deal about this - otherwise new guys like me end up learning the hard way. If I would have known I would have ordered the 1/2" bits to begin with. After thinking about it over the weekend, I really never want that to happen again - pretty scary stuff.

Greg Hines, MD
06-29-2009, 11:22 PM
I cannot believe that they even make a panel raising bit in a 1/4" shanked bits. That is an accident waiting to happen.

Doc

Nathan Callender
06-29-2009, 11:27 PM
It was a rail bit from a 2 piece rail and stile set, not the panel raiser. But, anyhow, it still has an outer diameter of 1.5" - too big.

Brian Gumpper
06-30-2009, 10:11 AM
I cannot believe that they even make a panel raising bit in a 1/4" shanked bits. That is an accident waiting to happen.

Doc

What he said. The manufacturers should't do a better job of educating, they shouldn't make the bit. My opinion is more geared toward the imported bits that don't use the same quality of steel as the names known for better quality. In general though they are not a good idea.