PDA

View Full Version : handbuilt lathe

Tom Keen
06-27-2009, 5:18 AM
Thought folks might be interested in this machine. I found it while on a lunch time walk. It was built by Bob McDonald who owns a small woodworking shop in Fairborn, OH called "The Cedar Chest"

The lathe swings 18". The large wheel (6' in diameter) provides power via a hand crank and a rope drive.

Entirely made made of Ash and White Oak. All wood harvested by the builder. Wheel utilizes leather bearings.

Mr. McDonald said they were going to be setting up and doing demos today. Contact me via email if you would like his email address.

Enjoy!

121743 121744

121745 121746

alex carey
06-27-2009, 5:28 AM
Cool looking lathe, not my personal dream lathe :D but its still pretty cool.

Jeff Nicol
06-27-2009, 7:26 AM
Looks like the apprentice gets to turn the big wheel while the master does all the good ,fun stuff! It is nice to see that there are still people keeping our heritage alive!

Great post,

Jeff

Jim Underwood
06-27-2009, 9:27 AM
Now that's a nicely made wheel lathe. I'd love to see more details.

The two ended tool rest is ingenious... I wonder if he's got a handwheel on the bottom side for tightening the "banjo"?

Mark Norman
06-27-2009, 12:25 PM
That's pretty slick!
Me, I would have to hook up a 3h.p. VS motor to it:D
But I guess if ya have a willing apprentice:)

curtis rosche
06-27-2009, 8:51 PM
mark, you would cover the whole thing in concrete first. then add the motor

Dave Lehnert
06-27-2009, 9:21 PM
[QUOTE=Tom Keen;1164536]Thought folks might be interested in this machine. I found it while on a lunch time walk. It was built by Bob McDonald who owns a small woodworking shop in Fairborn, OH called "The Cedar Chest"

The lathe swings 18". The large wheel (6' in diameter) provides power via a hand crank and a rope drive.

Entirely made made of Ash and White Oak. All wood harvested by the builder. Wheel utilizes leather bearings.

Mr. McDonald said they were going to be setting up and doing demos today. Contact me via email if you would like his email address.

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting. That is cool.

I see you are from South Charleston Ohio. You can just put that lathe on my next 18 wheeler of mulch from Paygro. :D