PDA

View Full Version : Stains on shaker boxers

Keith Albertson
06-27-2009, 12:00 AM
I've just finished making several oval Shaker Boxes. After they dried, I noticed a blackish stain around the copper tacks. I think this may be from the hammer I used to pound in the tacks when the wood was wet. The stains seem to be in areas where the hammer probably hit the wood when the wood was wet. Has anybody else had this problem? Any idea how to get the stain out now? More importantly, any ideas on how to avoid making the stains next time? Thanks.

Keith Albertson

Leo Voisine
06-27-2009, 4:40 PM
I've just finished making several oval Shaker Boxes. After they dried, I noticed a blackish stain around the copper tacks. I think this may be from the hammer I used to pound in the tacks when the wood was wet. The stains seem to be in areas where the hammer probably hit the wood when the wood was wet. Has anybody else had this problem? Any idea how to get the stain out now? More importantly, any ideas on how to avoid making the stains next time? Thanks.

Keith Albertson

Did you make the boxes out of "oak"?

Can you post a pic?

Keith Albertson
06-27-2009, 6:29 PM
No, I made them out of cherry and maple. I'll try to post a pic...haven't ever done that yet!!!!

Keith

Bob Glenn
06-28-2009, 11:37 AM
The stains are most likely from using tap water when in the hot water bath before you bent the wood. I only use distilled water when bending cherry. Doubtful that the the hammer left stains.

Thomas Knapp
06-28-2009, 1:15 PM
Lemon Juice works on black stains in Oak. I'd give it a shot. I don't know how much tannin is in cherry and maple. With Oak and some other types of wood, it is the reaction between the tannin and the iron that makes black marks.

Richard Wolf
06-28-2009, 3:29 PM
Try some oxalic acid. It is used to remove stains from wood. You can purchase it in good paint stores.
http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/oxalic_acid.html

Richard