PDA

View Full Version : Crown 3/4" Bowl gouge ?

Gary Conklin
06-26-2009, 10:34 PM
So, I stopped by Klingspor today to take advantage of their 20% off sale, and picked up a Crown 3/4" Bowl gouge. I got this suker home and started looking at it and keep thinking this sucker is BIG. Question is, is it to big? Anyone use one of these monsters?

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2009, 10:57 PM
I haven't. Haven't needed anything bigger than 5/8" but 90% of the time use a 1/2".

George Guadiane
06-26-2009, 10:57 PM
I have two Thompson 3/4 inch bowl gouges - one "V" one "U.".. Unless you are turning tiny things, then the answer is NO!
Bigger turns smoother (IMO), and unless the detail is too small to fit the gouge into, I would think the tool would work fine.

Steve Schlumpf
06-26-2009, 11:10 PM
I have a Thompson 3/4" V bowl gouge - coupled with a custom Monster handle - it just doesn't get any better than that! Love it! But to answer your question about is it to big? Nope - you get used to it just like any other tool you like to use!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Gary,

After watching Alan Lacer turn extremely small tops with an 1 1/4" Lacer skew....is your 3/4 gouge too large? Not if it's sharp.

Jason Clark2
06-27-2009, 4:22 AM
I have the 3/4" Crown (Non-PM) and IMHO it's too large to be very useful. The diameter of the steel is a full 7/8" so the gouge is front heavy in the supplied handle and it's also too large to fit into my Oneway varigrind jig so my only sharpening option is freehand. It remains in it's designated storage spot 99.9% of the time.

Jason

Gordon Seto
06-27-2009, 7:36 AM
it's also too large to fit into my Oneway varigrind jig so my only sharpening option is freehand.
Jason
You need the Varigrind #3074 for large tools if you want a jig for sharpening.
http://oneway.ca/sharpening/vari-grind.htm

A large diameter tool can reach over the tool rest for the bottom of the bowl without chattering. You will need a long handle in this case. If you have a chance, watch Stuart Batty.