PDA

View Full Version : Had Some Fun Today

Richard Gillespie
06-26-2009, 9:40 PM
Was installing some skirts for a hand rail and needed to achieve 4 inside 90 degree connections. Decided to over run the sides and use mortise and tenon joints at the connection with the fronts. Chopped the mortises in the sides and hogged out most of the material with my father's brace and bits.

Had to use his antique 1/2" parring chisel after I knocked mine off the work bench, landing on its edge. Know what I'll be doing tomorrow. Cut the tenons with hand saws and put it together. Fit was a little tight on two but my dead blow hammer fixed that.

This is a personal project being done at my wife's request. Installing a hand rail system at ground level for pet control. Material being used is pressure treated soft wood so all cutting was very easy. First time I've used a brace and bit for hogging. Bet Dad was smiling at me. Only real problem is 90 degree weather has finally hit hear. Boy, it was hot out there.

Bill Houghton
06-27-2009, 9:52 PM
the pleasure of hand work...using a family tool...discovering how much you can do and how many problems you can solve without killing electrons...

Richard Gillespie
06-30-2009, 5:46 PM
The next day, my wife asked me "why did it take so long to put up the skirts?" Told her that it was because of the inside 90 degree bends and that it was so hot out. Didn't tell her it was because I choose to do it by hand.

Bill Houghton
06-30-2009, 7:21 PM
The next day, my wife asked me "why did it take so long to put up the skirts?" Told her that it was because of the inside 90 degree bends and that it was so hot out. Didn't tell her it was because I choose to do it by hand.

Good save.