PDA

View Full Version : jointer setup questions

Justin Cavender
06-26-2009, 9:10 PM
I just changed the blades in my jointer and it is sniping like crazy it is a benchtop model, I know they are junk but it did a decent job for me before. I checked the infeed and outfeed are coplanar my question is are the blades supposed to be dead level with the tables or not?

Steve Jenkins
06-26-2009, 9:34 PM
If it is sniping at the tail end of the board just raise the outfeed table a bit at a time until it quits.

Justin Cavender
06-26-2009, 9:38 PM
the only way to adjust the outfeed is with shims it is a cheap benchtop model I would love to have a stationary one but no space or money. So I have what I have. Can I lower the blades around .001 and would that fix the problem? I set it up with a snap on precision straight edge.

Tom Hintz
06-27-2009, 2:36 AM
You can accompish the same thing by setting the jointer knives even with the outfeed table surface. That is the goal with adjustable tables anyway. It sounds like the knives are higher than the outfeed table so the wood is more or less dropping off of the infeed table as that end of the board leaves it.
See the link below for a story on common jointer problems we hear about and how you can fix them. Your situation is a little more complicated because of the fixed outfeed table but many of us adjust our outfeed tables so they are is fulsh with the knives and then lock it down. Once you get the knives set right, that is not an issue for you either.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/jntrprobfxs.html

Dave Wagner
06-27-2009, 6:58 AM
I put a straight edge on the outfeed table over the blades and adjust the blade height. I used a feeler gauge about .020 or less between the straight edge and blade. I had the same problem first time after adjusting the blades.

glenn bradley
06-27-2009, 9:10 AM
I this the small Delta? If so the knives are not really adjustable. I used foil tape under the table top pieces to adjust for height and such. Once tuned it worked quite well before he went to a new home.

Justin Cavender
06-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Glen no it is a sunhill machinery I got it all squared away now Thanks everyone.