PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Jewelry Box

Joe Leigh
06-26-2009, 6:35 PM
Viewing some of the incredible examples of members work here is a humbling experience. The level of expertise and skill is something that I can only aspire to.
I recently completed a jewelry box from some small pieces of cherry and maple. I used some figured sycamore for the top panel. My style leans more to a simple clean design and I use the figured woods as highlights. In this box I used some left over birds eye for the feet and insert, and some clear maple for the dividers. I welcome all comments favorable and critical. Thanks for looking..

Ed Sallee
06-26-2009, 7:00 PM
Very nicely done! It has all the stuff that I like.... especially using woods that you had on hand and implementing them in to something such as you did.

That's what hooked me on boxes.... as time goes on, you will have more and more "leftover" stuff that can be used here and there.

I think your box is a great example of what you were intending....

What type of hinges did you use? What sort of finishing schedule?

Nice Work!

I see this is your second post! Welcome and we look forward to seeing more of you. You may want to provide a few more details in your profile, ie...location... etc.

John Keeton
06-26-2009, 7:36 PM
Good job, Joe! Some nice curly maple in the top, and the piece that it is sitting on is nice, too!!! I like the design of the box - as you say, simple, yet functional and balanced.

Bruce Page
06-26-2009, 7:45 PM
Very pretty. I love the contrast between the cherry and the maple bottom and top.

sean m. titmas
06-26-2009, 8:29 PM
Nice box Joe. You made it simple yet elegant by letting the wood make the statement.

The center panel on the lid has a very strong grain to it, almost too strong. I would resaw it into a quartered bookmatch pattern to give it some refinement.

The miter keys and cherry sides compliment each other nicely.

Is it a gift or a commission?

Jack Camillo
06-26-2009, 8:33 PM
I love the box, excellent work, but, I think the bottom would have looked better had it been cherry as well. Just a personal opinion.

John Thompson
06-26-2009, 8:58 PM
Very nice, Joe... I like the simple design and the cherry looks great....

Sarge..

Joe Leigh
06-26-2009, 9:30 PM
Very nicely done! It has all the stuff that I like.... especially using woods that you had on hand and implementing them in to something such as you did.

That's what hooked me on boxes.... as time goes on, you will have more and more "leftover" stuff that can be used here and there.

I think your box is a great example of what you were intending....

What type of hinges did you use? What sort of finishing schedule?

Nice Work!

I see this is your second post! Welcome and we look forward to seeing more of you. You may want to provide a few more details in your profile, ie...location... etc.

Thanks Ed. The hinges are Brusso stop hinges. The finish is boiled linseed oil and 4 coats of blonde shellac finished with wax applied with 0000 steel wool.

Joe Leigh
06-26-2009, 9:35 PM
Nice box Joe. You made it simple yet elegant by letting the wood make the statement.

The center panel on the lid has a very strong grain to it, almost too strong. I would resaw it into a quartered bookmatch pattern to give it some refinement.

The miter keys and cherry sides compliment each other nicely.

Is it a gift or a commission?

Thank you. As of yet it's unclaimed, still sitting on my dining room table. It wasn't made for any reason other than a way to use some leftover wood. The commission aspect intrigues me but I have no idea how to price it...

Mark Valsi
06-28-2009, 2:54 PM
Very nice !

I have made several in that style, and they are always well appreciated.

Only comment I have on the minus side is I think the slider tray in the inside should have had thinnner "wall".

Good Job

Carl Heidesch
06-28-2009, 4:05 PM
I'd add this as an incredible example of member's work here !! Very well done!

c