PDA

View Full Version : Handcuffs - Nickel

Dave Yanke
06-26-2009, 6:18 PM
I have a vendor whom I do work for that sells police & fire equipment. Most of the engraving we do for him is leather and wood (holsters, badge holders, night sticks, etc). Today he calls me to have me "engrave" a badge number on a pair of handcuffs for a customer he is trying to get. Basically promised them.

I explained (again) that my ULS does not engrave per se (I only have the 2.0 lens) but that I have a message to mark them. They are Carbon Steel with a satin nickel finish.

I have Cermark I can mix up for this one off, but wanted to restate his concern to see if there is an issue; How well does it wear?

Also, I won't have time to do a jig this time around so will have to manually line them up, however since I don't do this much, not sure what the settings should be. They are Smith & Wesson Model T100. My set-up is in my signature. A web site for the cuffs is http://www.copquest.com/19-1500.htm

I did a search but only found threads on jigs.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Null
06-26-2009, 8:42 PM
Check the Cermark web site for laser setting guidance.

Ed Kloppenburg
06-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Dave,
I have cermarks and engraved a couple pairs of cuffs. They look good to start but with use and carry the stuff wears off. I speak from personal experience.
There are cuff maker that have plastic on them (ASP) and you can engrave these. Also there are powder coated cuffs (PINK) I would suppose you could mark these duh-no though.

Ed

Dan Hintz
06-29-2009, 6:49 AM
Also there are powder coated cuffs (PINK)
I'm trying to imagine bringing in some crack-slinging goon in pink handcuffs... that might make his life in prison a bit more interesting.

Gary and Jessica Houghton
06-29-2009, 11:53 AM
I've heard if you bring a BIG guy in with pink cuffs, he tends to be a bit more mellow from humiliation. It actaully is a great idea to have all officers have one set of pink cuffs, if for nothing more than the threat of bringing that bad guy in with them on!