PDA

View Full Version : How to clean??

Tim Leiter
06-26-2009, 4:26 PM
I made a mortar and pestle for LOML's nephew for his use in the kitchen grinding up spices and such and I need to know from you experts how to tell him how to peoperly clean it.

The unit is made out of Maple and finished with 5 coats of Mahoney's Walnut Oil, which was suggested on one of the forums.

I will look forward to all the combined wisdom of the members of this forum. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Tim.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn259/timsturnings/Mtr-Pstl.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
06-26-2009, 6:52 PM
Tim - I see you have been flooded with answers...

I have never used Mahoney's Walnut Oil but everything I have read said that you can wash using warm soapy water, rinse and then towel dry. I guess over time the wood will appear to dry out but you can reapply the finish just like you would a butcher block.

I have also read that you can contact Mike directly and ask any question you have regarding any of his products.

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2009, 9:19 PM
Mike is a good guy. I have e-mailed him on several occasions. He told me on my bowls and plates I use to just wash them with warm soapy water, rinse and dry with a paper towel. He said to let them sit out and air dry before putting away. I just applied some more oil to my plates which are walnut by the way and they have been used now for a year and a half 3 or 4 times a week.

Tim Leiter
06-28-2009, 7:31 AM
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.
Tim.