PDA

View Full Version : need help in making a decision on first lathe

Don Alexander
06-26-2009, 3:07 PM
not new to woodworking but completely new to turning and not sure which lathe to get. i've been doing alot of looking and reading and
at this point i've got it down to 2 different models that look like they could fit the requirements i have. Space is an issue as my shop is
a 12' x 12' shed with 10' ceiling and there are already a good number of tools in it :-) anyway i like what i have been reading about the Jet 1220VS lots of positive commentary to be found and so far nothing negative the problem i'm having is that i have seen next to nothing on the other lathe that i like the looks of Grizzly's G0658 which also claims to have outboard turning capability , which the Jet does not. both lathes have 3/4 HP motors which i like the idea of as opposed to 1/2 HP and both have 20 inch spindle length which will be necessary for the lamps
i want to make. the other thing i think i want is the slow low end speed
that these 2 lathes offer

what i'm asking for is 1) does the Grizzly compare favorably with the Jet
2) are there other brands that i should be considering and why?
3) is the outboard turning capability on the Grizzly worthy of being a factor in this decision (while i'm going to be turning alot of lamp spindles at first i definitely intend to do bowls and HF's and other stuff)
4) any advice i can get on making the callon buying my first ever lathe
and accessories for it

thanks in advance for your input and for all the great information on the threads in here i've been reading through alot of it

Jerome Hanby
06-26-2009, 3:48 PM
I got my wife the JET JWL-1220VS, 12" X 20" Variable Speed Wood Lathe 708376VS (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GYVANK/ref=ox_ya_oh_product) for Christmas after doing a bunch of research. It's still boxed waiting for me to finish her lathe stand, but it looks good and weighs a ton. It was all I could do to get it off the pallet, up the front steps, and under the Christmas tree.

David Hostetler
06-26-2009, 3:55 PM
That Jet 1220 VS is a VERY well regarded lathe. Add a bed extension later on, or even to take on and off as needed if you want to spin longer spindles.

Tom Henry
06-26-2009, 4:09 PM
Go jet!!!!

Alan Trout
06-26-2009, 7:21 PM
Don, I would seriously consider the new Delta 46-460 http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19220. I got to fondle one the other day. Overall quality and features to me look better then the Jet. The handles are more comfortable, The tailstock slides better and seems to lock down better. The belt change is the best I have seen and only has 3 ranges. Also it has reverse which is nice to have along with a 1HP motor.

Good Luck

Alan

cliff smith
06-26-2009, 8:36 PM
i have the grizzly 20" variable speed a very nice lathe well made and reaasonable price customer service very good too.

Don Alexander
06-26-2009, 8:48 PM
i'm definitely considering :-)

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2009, 9:11 PM
I would definitely give a hard look at the 46-460 Delta.

Don Alexander
06-26-2009, 11:09 PM
ughhh i like everything i see about the Delta except the shorter distance between centers that could be a deal breaker considering the
main thing i need to turn on it for awhile is 18-19 inch lamp spindles

the extension might be a possibility but makes space a bit more difficult

got some things to think through anyway

thanks for the input guys will let you know when the descision is made and lathe has been purchased hehe