PDA

View Full Version : Critiques and comments Please

Chris Rae
06-26-2009, 1:10 AM
This is my second box with a friction fit lid. I appreciated the critiques I got on the first one and I'd like to know if this one is an improvement. Thanks much for looking!
This is the link to the pics of the first one:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114833
Here is the second one:

Mark Norman
06-26-2009, 1:26 AM
That is splendid Chris!!

Looks to be well improved,,at least the pics are.

keep on turnin that fabulous wood:)

alex carey
06-26-2009, 3:08 AM
The pictures are definitely better, this second one is better than the first, it seems to be less squat and more long which I prefer. The smaller the base the better.

Jeff Nicol
06-26-2009, 6:32 AM
Chris, This one has a simple elegance and nice style. THe finish looks very good and the bead around the top is a very nice touch! The only thing that needs some work may be the finial. The beads are not quite sharp enough where they transition to the stem. Richard Raffan says they should look like they were "Popped" on there. So where the meet the stem make a little back cut to create a little shadow line to make it crisper there. Finials are something that takes lots of practice to get them looking just right, I still have days when the ones I do never look good to me! But all in all for the length of time you have been turning a very nice job!

Keep on sharing!

Jeff

David Christopher
06-26-2009, 8:08 AM
Chris, the box looks great....that is something to be proud of

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2009, 8:59 AM
Chris that is a beauty. Really nice form and finish.

Steve Schlumpf
06-26-2009, 9:04 AM
Chris - I like the body of this version a little better than the first - looks slightly elongated. The finial is an improvement over the first one also as it is less bulky and has more details.

I struggle with finials all the time and find that no matter how they look on the lathe - when I take them off they are still to bulky! Guess it comes with time and doing!

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing the next one!

Maria Alvarado
06-26-2009, 9:43 AM
Hi Chris,
I like both boxes, but the proportion on the finial is more pleasing on this one. I've never tried one, so I can't offer advice, but my eye says you are really progressing. Nice work.

Jim Underwood
06-26-2009, 11:05 AM
I like the form on both of your boxes. And this finial is much better.

I think you can improve upon it if you think about the flow of the piece when turning the finial. If you imagine the line flowing from the body of the piece to the top of the finial, does the eye move smoothly, or is there an abrupt break in the flow? I think if you increase the size of the elements in the base of the finial, that you will find it improves the look.

Keep up the good work Chris, you have the makings of a great box turner.

Richard Madison
06-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Chris,
Ditto what Maria and Jim both said. As a somewhat finial newby myself, have a suggestion that worked for me. Do a couple of practice finials and make them more delicate and thinner than you are comfortable with. If they look too thin and delicate on the lathe, you are getting there. Sharp tool and feather-light cuts of course. Motor gently but courageously and you will amaze yourself. Shape of both boxes is very nice.

Dennis Ford
06-26-2009, 1:03 PM
I really liked the lower section of the first one and this one is also very good. The lid and finial are much improved on this version. I hope you keep the first one just because it was the first. I hope you keep this one because you like it (if you don't like it, plenty of people will want it). The only suggestion I have is to consider making the top section of the finial more slender. This would increase the chances of the finial being broken some day but I think it would improve the appearance.

Ron Lynch
06-26-2009, 6:01 PM
Like the form, elongating it compared to your first is an improvement. I'm not a finial guy (if you chopped it after the first bead I'd like it better), but this finial does look more delicate than your first and I'm guessing that's what you're after, so we'll call it good.

Wayne Leach
06-26-2009, 9:26 PM
I think you did a wonderful job on this one. Nice smooth contour and the lid sits nicely in the recess. The finial looks good while still maintaining its functionality.
Very well done.
Wayne

Chris Rae
06-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate the comments and critiques. I want very much to improve my turning skills and my sense of design, and I thank you all for your help.

Andy Bardowell
06-26-2009, 11:12 PM
I’m not a turner Chris but I know beauty and outstanding work when I see it!