PDA

View Full Version : When to raise grain?

Justin Crabtree
06-26-2009, 1:02 AM
I am finishing up some cutting boards and someone recommended raising the grain with distilled water during the sanding process.

Here is the sequence for sanding that I have planned. When would be the best time to raise the grain before applying the final finish (salad bowl finish)?

120 grit on drum sander
80 grit w/ ROS
120 grit w/ ROS
220 grit w/ ROS
300+ grit with a finishing sander if needed

Any recommendations?

Tom Hintz
06-26-2009, 3:14 AM
I usually sand to 220-grit and then raise the grain with distilled water, let it dry completely and then resand with 220 and then work to the final grit. That has worked for me anyway.

Justin Crabtree
06-26-2009, 9:10 AM
Thank you Tom...i'll give it a try. :D

Jim Summers
06-26-2009, 9:30 AM
I am finishing up some cutting boards and someone recommended raising the grain with distilled water during the sanding process.

Here is the sequence for sanding that I have planned. When would be the best time to raise the grain before applying the final finish (salad bowl finish)?

120 grit on drum sander
80 grit w/ ROS
120 grit w/ ROS
220 grit w/ ROS
300+ grit with a finishing sander if needed

Any recommendations?

In my Flexner book, he mentions wetting after your last grit. Then once it is dry use the same sandpaper ( not a new piece ) and lightly sand. To much will remove the whiskers but put you back to where you were before wetting. So with that I think I would do it after the 220 sanding.

Is the 300 for your in between coats?

HTH

Justin Crabtree
06-26-2009, 9:51 AM
I had planned on doing 300 last and then putting 2-3 coats of the finish on (50% salad bowl finish & 50% mineral spirits mixture), but not sanding in between coats. Just enough to seal the board, but not build up a thick finish over the piece.

Scott Holmes
06-28-2009, 3:21 PM
A film forming finish no matter how thin will not do well on a cutting board that is going to be used...

An oil finish or an oil/wax finish is a much better choice for a working wood surface.

Chris Padilla
06-29-2009, 1:33 PM
You cannot reallly build up an oil finish...it is way too soft but for a cutting board, it is likely the best treatment for it. Just keep oiling it over time as the wood looks like it needs it.

As to grain raising, I go by my bible by Bob Flexner and Jim echoes it well. Raising the grain is good if your project is likely to see some water at all over its life regardless of the finish. Lets assume you have a nice durable hard film finish on your project (like lacquer). Later on some water manages to penetrate the finish...it will raise the grain less if it has been raised before and the wood will still feel smooth and you many not have to do anything about it. Don't raise the grain and it is possible the wood will feel bumpy after the watering episode....

Howard Acheson
06-29-2009, 2:17 PM
Here is something you may want to read about the necessity of "raising the grain". It may save you some time.

http://www.hardwoodlumberandmore.com/tipsheets/raisinggrain.html

Chris Padilla
06-29-2009, 7:41 PM
Here is something you may want to read about the necessity of "raising the grain". It may save you some time.

http://www.hardwoodlumberandmore.com/tipsheets/raisinggrain.html

Interesting...do you agree with it, Howie?

Howard Acheson
06-30-2009, 5:10 PM
>> Interesting...do you agree with it,

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. It makes perfect sense.

I don't use a lot of waterborne finishes but I do use waterbased dyes fairly often. For about 3-4 years (since seeing Steve Mickley's process), I've never raised the grain before applying a waterbased dye or a waterborne finish--or any other finish for that matter.

I actually did the same test as Steve. I sanded a board, raised the grain on half and applied a 25% thinned varnish on the whole board. Neither section felt smooth but maybe the raised grain section was slightly smoother. But, neither section was customer ready. I then sanded both sections equally with 320 paper and applied a second coat thinned 10%. I let my wife feel both and she could not feel any difference or see any difference. Both were smooth and could have been considered finished. However, I again sanded lightly with 320 and wiped on a final coat. Both surfaces were perfect.

My conclusion was that "raising the grain" is just not necessary. Of course, it's never necessary if you are going to use lacquer, shellac or oil based finish.

Give it a try yourself and see what you think.

Chris Padilla
07-01-2009, 4:07 PM
I wonder about "down the road" if water should penetrate the finish (any finish) and raise the grain.

I suppose if this happens, it is possible the whole finish should be stripped and redone anyway....

Scott Holmes
07-02-2009, 2:15 AM
Once it's sealed with a film forming finish grain raising becomes a non issue.