PDA

View Full Version : 3, 2, 1, Blast off....

Lee Schierer
06-25-2009, 8:25 PM
Since the new tube of silicone sealant cured properly, we launched the first water rockets in the back yard tonight with the grandkids. The launching system and rockets worked great. The 2 liter bottles would soar 200-300 feet in the air depending upon the amount of water and pressure I used. I used my portable compressor to pump them up.

Here's a shot taken with my digital. The blur at the top is the rocket.

We had two rockets and launched both several times and the kids chased them into the back field and neighbors yard. We finally lost one that for some reason went horizontal and started to glide after it lost power and it went beyond a creek and tree line. The other got lodged in a tree. I made a replacement tonight so we can play again tomorrow. I've also shown a photo of the new rocket.

The design came from a special "Ask This Old House show and is really easy to make and other than the compressor will cost less than $10 for everything you need. I made the fins from 1/4" foam core and the nose is from a 3" thick block of foam.

Jim O'Dell
06-25-2009, 8:48 PM
Cool! That would be more fun than the fireworks on the Fourth! Jim.

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2009, 8:52 PM
Pretty cool idea and I am sure you created some lasting memories for the grandkids!

curtis rosche
06-25-2009, 9:12 PM
the nice thing is you can really get some preasure before they blow up. we did that at camp once but we had to use bike pumps

Leigh Costello
06-26-2009, 12:46 AM
My hubby is going to really be wondering where I got this idea when I launch a few on the Fourth for our annual fireworks get together. Wonder how they would do with a parachute of some kind? hmmm...

Peter Stahl
06-26-2009, 5:56 AM
Pretty cool Lee. This is the kind of cool stuff they'll remember when they get older.

Lee Schierer
06-26-2009, 7:40 AM
My hubby is going to really be wondering where I got this idea when I launch a few on the Fourth for our annual fireworks get together. Wonder how they would do with a parachute of some kind? hmmm...

Rigging a parachute so it doesn't come out on the way up can be tricky. Also remember that it will drift a long way down range with a parachute. Without a paracute we were chasing ours over 300 feet down range at times with a 10 mph breeze. You also need to watch for power lines. But hey give it a try. It's good clean fun.

Art Mulder
06-26-2009, 11:39 AM
The design came from a special "Ask This Old House show and is really easy to make and other than the compressor will cost less than $10 for everything you need. I made the fins from 1/4" foam core and the nose is from a 3" thick block of foam.

Link? Plans?

I want to have a go at this!

Lee Schierer
06-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Link? Plans?

I want to have a go at this!

The show was Season 7, Episode 20 – Aired: 2/14/2009 One place to get a copy is Old Shows (http://www.tv.com/Ask+This+Old+House/Building+a+Raised+Garden+Bed+for+Vegetables-Building+an+Indoor+Golf+Course-Building+a+Soda+Bottle+Rocket+Launcher/episode/1250436/summary.html) I have no affilaition with this site.

curtis rosche
06-26-2009, 12:37 PM
what was the highest preasure you used for them?

Lee Schierer
06-26-2009, 1:11 PM
what was the highest preasure you used for them?

I didn't have a pressure gauge, but I had the pressure setting on the compressor at 70 psi. It could be +/- 10 psi from that.

John Shuk
06-26-2009, 1:44 PM
Link please!

Rod Goodin
06-26-2009, 5:03 PM
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,20258045,00.html