06-25-2009, 7:12 PM
Wow! That's hard to believe!

Michael Schapansky
06-25-2009, 7:23 PM
My first thought was Huh.

That was my second thought also.

Steve Schlumpf
06-25-2009, 7:42 PM
I have to admit - that was unexpected..............

Never considered myself much of a Mikey fan but have to admit he did a lot in the world of music!

Jim Kountz
06-25-2009, 7:46 PM
Yeah ya know you didnt have to like his music, I certainly didnt go nuts over it but he WAS a very unique and powerful artist in his day. I can appreciate his contribution to pop music.
Farewell.

Also farewell to Ed McMahon and my childhood dream girl Farrah Fawcett. Boy did I love her back then!!

Tim Morton
06-25-2009, 7:49 PM
I was shocked to learn that Thiller was 1982....i don't think there has a been a single video since then that made as much of a statement....

Paul Ryan
06-25-2009, 8:05 PM
Not a Mike Jackson fan either, but I was very shocked when CBS evening news started with that.

It was reported only about 20 min after his death was declared. That is kind of sad to know that the media had to have their noses in there while they were working on him, or going through the death procedures. Anyway it was a big shock.

Eric Larsen
06-25-2009, 8:28 PM
It was reported only about 20 min after his death was declared. That is kind of sad to know that the media had to have their noses in there while they were working on him, or going through the death procedures. Anyway it was a big shock.

"The Media" had this story written and ready to go YEARS ago, as they do for nearly all celebrities. The celebrity obits are updated as necessary. Only cause and time of death need to be filled in.

If Miley Cyrus gets hit by a bus this evening, the news outlets are ready to go with the obit/reflection story. It's morbid, but that's what the public seems to demand.

Tony Cox
06-25-2009, 8:35 PM
It is a little hard to believe. This has been a bad week for stars from my time. Just a little sad. :(

Jim O'Dell
06-25-2009, 8:46 PM
Actually the King has been dead for quite some time now....His son in law died today. ;) Actually, I'm not a big fan of either, but I was more saddened that Farah passed away today. Jim.

Bob Lloyd
06-25-2009, 8:58 PM
Sad news. I have always liked his earlier stuff from the Jackson 5, Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad; Thriller is my favorite album of all time - so many great tracks. Too bad as he was working hard on a comeback/farewell tour.

curtis rosche
06-25-2009, 9:11 PM
too bad hes dead though

Chris Padilla
06-25-2009, 9:20 PM
Ed McMahon yesterday, Farrah Fawcett earlier today, and now the king of pop, Michael Jackson.

It is a sad day....

Al Willits
06-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Ya, MJ had more than his share of problems, but he changed music as we knew it and was a performing genius.

Like his music or not, he was a super star....little nuts, but a super star. :D

Al

Narayan Nayar
06-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Thriller was the first album I could call my own, and the first cassette I owned. It was also the only cassette I owned for a long time. Needless to say, I grew up with Michael Jackson's music.

It was sad to see his life story deteriorate so publicly, but as many have said already, his musical abilities were pure genius. You didn't have to like it to acknowledge that.

Orion Henderson
06-26-2009, 9:19 AM
Not to be flip, but I have to think this put him out of his misery. He was a sad soul if ever there was one. Too bad.

Phyllis Meyer
06-26-2009, 1:03 PM
A true Michael Jackson fan here...posters up on my bedroom wall as a teenager. He was right next to Donny Osmond.

My heart goes out to his children, family! He truly was an incredible talent that will be remembered forever!

Folks, once again...age 50, all the money that we can only dream about, and a young man is dead! Life is too short, and we cannot waste a day! Hug your family, let go of the things that cause us turmoil...PEACE!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Brad Wood
06-26-2009, 1:55 PM
In my previous career I worked in Hollywood doing lighting and rigging (I was a Grip). I worked on two projects with MJ, and they were both interesting to say the least.
While I was never a big fan, him dying yesterday did bring back a few memories.

Farrah too, what a bummer, I was 11 when her famous poster hit the scene... you know I had a copy on the wall :o

Nick Abbott
06-26-2009, 6:25 PM
When I heard the news my first thought was "drug overdose". The autopsy looks like that will be confirmed as the cause of death. At this point it is unclear how much responsibility the attending physician holds.

David G Baker
06-26-2009, 6:42 PM
My first star love was Annette and she isn't doing too well right now either.
I have some Michael CDs but lost it for him when the serious weirdness began.
Farrah was one of the most beautiful women in the world in my opinion.

Frank Hagan
06-26-2009, 10:14 PM
I had always liked him during the Jackson 5 days, and was absolutely galvanized when he did the "Billy Jean" routine on TV. It was either a Jackson reunion show or a Motown show, I can't remember which. His moonwalk looked impossible and just a little spooky ... almost like a David Blaine magic trick. Every kid in America was trying it the next day, so we got used to it, but I still remember ... WOW!

Unlike so many of the pop singers today, he actually could sing and dance at the same time. The studio in Westwood he used for the Dangerous album included a 15 x 15 oak parquet dance floor so he could work out the vocals while dancing.

His descent into madness saddened me, as well as the perpetuation of the sicknesses that marked his youth visited upon his young acquaintances. A very troubled soul for sure, but the time for our judgments to do any good are now past. Like other imperfect artists, his art remains and we can appreciate it on its own level.

Bob Genovesi
06-27-2009, 5:55 AM
Actually the King has been dead for quite some time now....His son in law died today. ;) Actually, I'm not a big fan of either, but I was more saddened that Farah passed away today. Jim.

I'm with you there Jim.

Belinda Barfield
06-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm sorry MJ has passed away; however, I'm not going to miss him.

I found it sad that Farah, who so bravely battled cancer, got about 30 minutes of news coverage before the whole MJ worship service started, and continues. Yes, he contributed a great deal to the music world, but she was a much better person.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Folks,

I'm not here to defend anyone or anything.

To the best of my knowledge MJ was not convicted of any crime. Some will say he bought himself out of it. I will tell you that anyone or any organization who "buys themselves" out of it are not necessarily guilty of anythng. It is often cheaper to settle out of court than to pay the expenses of going to court.

I am not a MJ fan.

Keep in mind that any postings here that suggest he did something wrong, without proof are just unproven rumors and will be removed. This is neither the time nor the place. The man died and there are some folks out there that cared for him.

This thread has been a source of discussion in the Moderators Forum and if it becomes too much of a headache to moderate, it will be closed.

Paul Greathouse
06-27-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm sorry MJ has passed away; however, I'm not going to miss him.

I found it sad that Farah, who so bravely battled cancer, got about 30 minutes of news coverage before the whole MJ worship service started, and continues. Yes, he contributed a great deal to the music world, but she was a much better person.

Belinda, I saw this thread when it first started and wanted to make the same reference to Farah's death that you just did, but I couldn't find a way to express myself as eloquently as you just did. Thank you for saying what you said the way you said it. So often I am saddened by what society deems most important.

Dave Lehnert
06-27-2009, 1:50 PM
I never was a MJ fan at all but got to see some of his videos on You Tube the last few days. Realized that others like Britney Spears was just a cheap copy of MJ.
Kinda sad it always takes the death of a star to celebrate their work.
I am a fan of Metal (PRIEST!!!) Never was a fan of "Dime Bag" till after he was shot on stage by a fan here is Ohio. Wish I had seen him in concert.

Curt Harms
06-27-2009, 7:11 PM
........Kinda sad it always takes the death of a star to celebrate their work.
I am a fan of Metal (PRIEST!!!) Never was a fan of "Dime Bag" till after he was shot on stage by a fan here is Ohio. Wish I had seen him in concert.

Getting shot on stage? I never thought of being a "musician" as being a hazardous occupation. With the casualty list of gangsta/rapper types growing like it is, I might have to rethink that.:eek:

Paul Geer
06-27-2009, 8:59 PM
I didn't know he was 50!