PDA

View Full Version : Renewal by Anderson = Rip-off

Dan Mages
06-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Wifey and I are planning on replacing a pair of french doors in our house. I have quoted Anderson 400 series doors at a couple of shops, including Home Depot, and they come out to approx $1700. I also called Renewal by Anderson and had a sales rep give me a quote... $5900 installed! :eek: This is a standard 60x6'8" door.

Talk about a rip-off!

Dan

Nate Carey
06-25-2009, 1:29 PM
hmmm...

my Andersen book lists the 400 Series Frenchwood Outswing hinged 6-0x6-8 "basic unit" @ $3304.50

...and the 400 Series Frenchwood Gliding Patio Door
6-0x6-8 "basic unit" @ $1880.80

...I think maybe apples are being compared to oranges...

...and there is a pile of extra cost options to choose from...

Logan William
06-25-2009, 1:39 PM
Agree with Nate, my guess is that they're not quoting the same product, that the HD quote doesn't include install and that lots of options like jamb extensions/mutins/interior finish is being included in one and not the other. Have you got quotes from any of the other major window manufacturers?

Michael Roland
06-25-2009, 1:49 PM
I've had one product installed by HD .. never again. The "basic" install price was increased significantly and the install sub-contractor's work was acceptable at best.

David G Baker
06-25-2009, 2:38 PM
The Borg installers that I have had experience with did average work but the last time I had a bid from Lowe's for kitchen flooring the install price was $900 plus or minus a little. The installer raised the price to $1400. Went with a local store and got the job done for around $700 for the same grade flooring. Taught me to shop prior to committing.

Tom Godley
06-25-2009, 3:33 PM
Be very careful when getting a quote -- I have had some difficulties. Just a couple of weekends ago I tried to get a quote on an Atrium door from HD - it was a 36" door with two 15" opening skylights on either side - so it was a little complicated. Every time they tried to get me a quote it was a different price!

Also -- I have also found that the glass in both the Andersen doors and windows for that matter scratch easily -- anyone else have this problem?

Joe Pelonio
06-25-2009, 10:36 PM
I installed Anderson patio Slider and some windows back about 1990 and they were very high quality. Since then I have heard that when they started selling through the borgs the prices had to be lower and so was the quality. The ones from Anderson direct are better hence priced higher.

Matt Meiser
06-26-2009, 7:09 AM
I've heard that, but when we were buying windows I couldn't find any part number differences between Home Depot and what the builder got from a supply house. It seems like that would make it awfully hard for Andersen to track inventory. For our non-stock windows the prices he got were lower from Home Depot. For the ones that Home Depot keeps on the shelf in the store every day, theirs were significantly lower. Since most were a stock size, we ended up getting everything from Home Depot and the contractor didn't have to deal with the purchasing and therefore didn't have to mark them up. I've had exactly one issue between 15 or so windows and a 400-series sliding door. Andersen sent out out kit to replace the whole latch mechanism on the door that eliminates a pin that kept falling out of the sliding door.

Nate Carey
06-26-2009, 7:22 AM
...call me anal-retentive if you must, but the name is Andersen not Anderson.

I am very familiar with the production lines at most major millwork manufacturers and I assure you that there are not two assembly lines at the Andersen plant in Bayport MN; one making 400 Series product for Home Depot and another making 400 Series product for everyone else.

...that said, some Home Depot products are made specifically and exclusively for them...GE appliances for instance.

Matt Meiser
06-26-2009, 8:07 AM
Nate, I really have a problem keeping that straight--Around here, one place to buy Andersen is at The Anderson's!

Nate Carey
06-26-2009, 8:09 AM
...Matt, I didn't have a problem with your spelling...you got it right!

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-26-2009, 11:19 AM
We got Anderson French doors for the entry from the kitchen to the Deck.

They came with this really impossibly think veneer that prolly was meant to be paint grade. The stuff was so thin that the glue bled through making a stain to match the cherry kitchen come out badly.

I got them replaced - just like that.
The guy came out and saw what I was complaining about tried to blame the poor sob who opened the box and after making pointless noises he just replaced them

Dan Mages
06-26-2009, 3:38 PM
hmmm...

my Andersen book lists the 400 Series Frenchwood Outswing hinged 6-0x6-8 "basic unit" @ $3304.50

...and the 400 Series Frenchwood Gliding Patio Door
6-0x6-8 "basic unit" @ $1880.80

...I think maybe apples are being compared to oranges...

...and there is a pile of extra cost options to choose from...

I was told by the local Renewal franchise owner that Renewal makes their own doors. I was obviously misinformed on this one. Even with the Frenchwood doors, I cannot see the reason why there will be a markup from the $3304.50 you quoted to the $5900 I received for the stock door with no added features... and I forgot to mention that the quote includes a repeat customer discount. Most carpenters I have spoken to have quoted me $400-600 for install. I don't have a clue where the other $2000 comes in.

The Borg installers that I have had experience with did average work but the last time I had a bid from Lowe's for kitchen flooring the install price was $900 plus or minus a little. The installer raised the price to $1400. Went with a local store and got the job done for around $700 for the same grade flooring. Taught me to shop prior to committing.

I will NEVER again have anything installed by the BORG. I already learned that the hard way after I foolishly allowed them to install a kitchen. That is a discussion for another time. While they were the cheapest by maybe $100-200, I would prefer to buy it from a local dealer that carries the door in stock and stands behind their products and knows competent installers.

Logan William
06-26-2009, 5:44 PM
Competent installers are key to a positive experience with any window/door purchase. Some publications I've seen say that up to half of window installs are done incorrectly(according to mfg instructions). This is important for several reasons, first is that the installation methods are designed to prevent water from penetrating the wall cavity and it doesn't matter how airtight the sash is to the frame if water can run between the opening and the frame. Second, being poorly installed will negate any thermal/air infiltration improvement the new product will have over the previous units, and finally if a product is installed incorrectly and causes damage to the product/and or surrounding wall sections due to water penetration the manufacturer generally doesn't have to stand behind it. Their warranties normally state that for it to be valid the product must be installed correctly per their instructions. Common mistakes include using the wrong/cheaper flashing tape, not using foam backer rod before silicone caulk, or using no expansion foam/wrong type of expansion foam.