PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bosch 1590 and 1591 Jigsaws

Louis Brandt
06-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Hello,

I’ve read lots of posts from many of you saying that the Bosch 1590 or 1591 jigsaw is a super jigsaw. My question is, is it really that much better than an inexpensive jigsaw? For instance, I have a new Black & Decker variable speed jigsaw that I realize isn’t a top quality model.

The Black & Decker doesn't seem to be able to “track” that straight, even when I run it along a clamped straight edge. It’s as if the thickness of the wood (only 1/4 inch thick) forces the blade to move off the line. It may be just my technique, but I don’t know.

So, my question is, could I expect the Bosch to do a better job on this? Would the Bosch be expected to track that straight? And if so, which Bosch, the handle type or the barrel type, would be more controllable?

I guess that the bottom line is that I’d like to get the Bosch if it would be that much better than what I’ve got.

Thanks,
Louis

Anthony Anderson
06-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Hello,

I’ve read lots of posts from many of you saying that the Bosch 1590 or 1591 jigsaw is a super jigsaw. My question is, is it really that much better than an inexpensive jigsaw? For instance, I have a new Black & Decker variable speed jigsaw that I realize isn’t a top quality model.

The Black & Decker doesn't seem to be able to “track” that straight, even when I run it along a clamped straight edge. It’s as if the thickness of the wood (only 1/4 inch thick) forces the blade to move off the line. It may be just my technique, but I don’t know.

So, my question is, could I expect the Bosch to do a better job on this? Would the Bosch be expected to track that straight? And if so, which Bosch, the handle type or the barrel type, would be more controllable?

I guess that the bottom line is that I’d like to get the Bosch if it would be that much better than what I’ve got.

Thanks,
Louis

I have the 1590EVS, and love it. It has a tracking mechanism that engages when a button is pushed, causing two little "arms" that rest on each side of the blade, and help the blade to remain true. You must make sure the blade is 90 degrees to the shoe, or it too will not track true, same with resawing on a bandsaw (at least in my experience). I always check mine with a square. I find that the 1590 top handle fits me better than the barrel handle. But stop by the local tool store, and try them both out, your preference may be different. The Bosch 308B blades makes cutting anything wood related, like cutting butter. I can even cut maple and oak plywood, with zero chipout.

The upgrade will be obvious when you use the Bosch. Good Luck, Bill

Augusto Orosco
06-25-2009, 12:01 PM
I had cheap Ryobi before getting the Bosch with the barrel grip. I used the Ryobi a few times and gave up... the vibration and lack of power made using it very frustrating.

The Bosch is a world apart. I haven't tried straight rips with it though, I've used it mostly for curve cuts. The Bosch gives you great control and accuracy. Their blades are also excellent (and cheap).

Don't know if my old Ryobi can compare to your B&D (probably not, mine was as low as you can go), but in my case, the Bosch was worth every penny.

I chose the barrel grip because I think it allows for better control than having to direct the saw by 'pushing' from the top, but that's my personal preference. Some people mentioned that the barrel might be a problem if you have small hands (which is my case), but I haven't found that to be the case.

Hope it helps

Mr. Jeff Smith
06-25-2009, 12:08 PM
I have a 1591EVS and its light years ahead of my previous jigsaw. Its not going to replace a bandsaw as it still experiences some flex on thicker cuts, but its amazing how many jobs have me end up grabbing this unit. For thinner cuts its wonderful.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-25-2009, 12:25 PM
The only way you can decide for yourself is to compare the two. Maybe yours is good enough for you. But for me the Bosch I have is worlds apart in quality and use than my old sears jigsaw I used to have. A cheaper jigsaw may be all you require but the Bosch is definitely a better unit than most others.

Lee Schierer
06-25-2009, 12:40 PM
I was truly amazed at the quality and speed of cut I could get with my Bosch barrel grip as compared to my cheap B&D model. With the Bosch Progressor T234X blades, I get cross cuts that rival a 60 tooth finish blade cut on my TS in poplar, cherry, maple, oak and plywood. The Bosch is a good machine and will give very straight cuts when used with an edge guide. As others have indicated it will not completely replace a bandsaw on curved cuts, but it does a better job on all cuts than any jig saw I've ever used (Skil, B&D, Craftsman).

If I needed another one, it would be Bosch!

Russ Kay
06-25-2009, 3:37 PM
I've got an older Bosch, the 1584, and I remember well the day I brought it home. I never knew a jigsaw could cut that cleanly or that straight!

Larry Rupert
06-25-2009, 5:37 PM
I've got a 1591, the thing runs like a sewing machine. No real vibration, cuts like butter, on and on. Yeah, I'd pay for one again in a minute. I had a old B&D model, it's like a Pinto and a Cadillac... Major big difference. Larry

glenn bradley
06-25-2009, 6:13 PM
My question is, is it really that much better than an inexpensive jigsaw?

I didn't read what everyone else said but I've got to tell you; I didn't know a jigsaw was an actual tool until I got my 1591 EVS. I'm sure the experience is similar with any very high quality jigsaw.

Matthew Hills
06-25-2009, 7:27 PM
I went from a skil to a bosch 1584 after getting very frustrated with blade deflection on some cuts I was doing with the skil. The Bosch has been much better in this regard. Whether this is a worthwhile purchase will depend on how much you use a jigsaw. The 1584 cuts well, although it is a bit fiddly to change the blades. I've seen some chatter recently about differences between models made in switzerland vs. china. I can imagine better than what I've got, but what I've got does work pretty well.

Matt

Phil Phelps
06-25-2009, 7:59 PM
The barrel grip Bosch is that good. The Bosch Co. bought the Lesto Co. which was the best jig saw on the planet. I had a Lesto saw but a burglar borrowed it.

Bill Huber
06-25-2009, 8:03 PM
I think the Bosch 1591 is junk and I wouldn't have one if you paid me.....

Ok, just joking....:D

I really love mine and I came from a B&D the difference it really what everyone has said. With a good Bosch blade I use a All-in-One clamp and cut a line as straight as the CS.

Chris Kennedy
06-25-2009, 8:14 PM
I have a 1587, and as others have said -- once you go Bosch, you never go back.

My dad had a Craftsman and we also borrowed our neighbors B & D and they were rough tools incapable of cutting a decent straight line.

Honestly, I can cut as good a straight line with my Bosch freehand as I can with my circ saw and a straight edge. Better probably.

Cheers

Chris

John Thompson
06-25-2009, 8:49 PM
I thought a jig-saw was a waste of money after having 4 that the manufacturer claimed were jig-saws. I took a chance on the older Bosch barrel grip and found out what a jig saw really is. Mine doesn't even have the quick blade change and there is no way I would give it up.

Sarge..

Chuck Saunders
06-25-2009, 8:56 PM
night and day. I prefer the barrel grip

Mr. Jeff Smith
06-26-2009, 12:09 AM
The blade change on the 1591's is a breeze. Mine was made in Switzerland for those that care. I believe they are a significant upgrade even over Bosch's own 1584's.

glenn bradley
06-26-2009, 12:28 AM

Oh my gosh Bill :D:D:D, you just totally got me hook, line and sinker with that first line :D:D:D. My jaw hit the keyboard, then I read on. Dad has the 1587 and the blade change is a bit of an acquired taste. Go a few dollars more and get the 1590 or 91 depending on your preference for top or barrel grip.

Phil Phelps
06-26-2009, 6:20 AM

Ok, just joking....:D

I really love mine and I came from a B&D the difference it really what everyone has said. With a good Bosch blade I use a All-in-One clamp and cut a line as straight as the CS.

You have a clever sense of huber.

Greg McCallister
06-26-2009, 7:13 AM
After making a similar post such as yours (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102300) - I got the 1590.
There is no, and I repeat - no comparison to the previous jig saws I have owned (B&D and Skil). Get it - it is so smooth.
My daughters asked the same question after they gave it to me for Christmas and I said "come on down to the shop and try it."
They first tried the old Skil on a piece of scrap ply - jumped all over the place and even with a new blade there was considerable tear out.
They then both tried the Bosch. First thing out of their mouths was how much heavier it was. Yep, a sign of power and precision.
They then both cut with the Bosch. All either could say was "Wow".
My oldest daughter after trying the Bosch picked up the skil and dropped it in the trash and said, "I understand now Dad", with an added "OMG".
Of course I fished the Skil out of the bin and gave it away (hate throwing away a working tool no matter how bad it is).
These guys here know what they are talking about! Thanks everyone for the recommendation.

Darrell Bade
06-26-2009, 7:36 AM
It is that good. I only used my Craftsman that I had for years as a last resort if there was not other way I could cut something and even then I dreaded it. Bought the Bosch and it cuts great. I have made a few cuts with a straightedge that I would have never thought a jigsaw would do, much less do it straight. Also drifted a little off a straightedge one day about 1/16" in the middle of a cut. Thought oh crap, I will never be able to fix that. The Bosch went back and skim cut that little bit and did it straight.

Hank Moreman
06-26-2009, 7:05 PM
my advice is to forget Bosch all together and get a Hitachi, I've had both of the Bosch you mentioned and felt like they could not handle the abuse my employees and I gave them (we are finish carpenters). I bought them because that is what my guys had used before and they liked them. I had my old Hitachi back at the shop and after the new ones broke for the umpteenth time I brought out old reliable and have been using it exclusively for 2 years with not even a hick-up, and to top it all off the Hitachi was about $20 cheaper. Just my 2 cents

John M Bailey
06-26-2009, 9:19 PM
my advice is to forget Bosch all together and get a Hitachi, I've had both of the Bosch you mentioned and felt like they could not handle the abuse my employees and I gave them (we are finish carpenters). I bought them because that is what my guys had used before and they liked them. I had my old Hitachi back at the shop and after the new ones broke for the umpteenth time I brought out old reliable and have been using it exclusively for 2 years with not even a hick-up, and to top it all off the Hitachi was about $20 cheaper. Just my 2 cents

:rolleyes:

The Hitachi is certainly a good jigsaw, one of the best actually, but to say that the Bosch 1590 and 1591 saw broke umpteen times and the Hitachi did not under the same conditions is bit of a stretch.

Paul Greathouse
06-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Looks like your question has been well answered but I just want to add one more plus for the Bosch. I do a lot of trim work and use my Bosch Jig saw for coping on all but the most intricate cuts. They are that good.

Understand, that I am not useing one of the comercial coping jigs, for jigsaws. I am making the angle cut on the trim with the miter saw and then free-handing the cope cut as you normally would with a hand coping saw.

There was a Bosch jigsaw thread a few month back that included alot of talk about coping with the Bosch jig saw, you may be able to find it with some searching.

John Thompson
06-27-2009, 11:40 AM
After making a similar post such as yours (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102300) - I got the 1590.
There is no, and I repeat - no comparison to the previous jig saws I have owned (B&D and Skil). Get it - it is so smooth.
My daughters asked the same question after they gave it to me for Christmas and I said "come on down to the shop and try it."
They first tried the old Skil on a piece of scrap ply - jumped all over the place and even with a new blade there was considerable tear out.
They then both tried the Bosch. First thing out of their mouths was how much heavier it was. Yep, a sign of power and precision.
They then both cut with the Bosch. All either could say was "Wow".
My oldest daughter after trying the Bosch picked up the skil and dropped it in the trash and said, "I understand now Dad", with an added "OMG".
Of course I fished the Skil out of the bin and gave it away (hate throwing away a working tool no matter how bad it is).
These guys here know what they are talking about! Thanks everyone for the recommendation.

When I purchased the old Bosch barrel grip about 6 or 7 years ago.. I also opted to give away a Skil in lieu of throw it in the trash where it belongs. I gave it to my FIL. I guess that tells you what I think of him... huh? :D

Sarge..

Greg Deakins
06-27-2009, 6:54 PM
you won't go wrong with the bosch. Just keep it cool, taking breaks. I tend to guide with my left hand on the head and it gets pretty hot after a while. It will go real nicely up to 4/4 in some medium density woods, after that, you can expect it to tilt the cut. It still beats others I have used IMO. Blades are good and inexpensive. The real small detail blades are what I use, but with the larger aggressor blades and the back tilt adjustment, you can really rip through some material.