PDA

View Full Version : Hi-yo Turbo!!!

Dale Thompson
08-25-2004, 8:36 PM
Hi Folks,
My name is TURBO and I have attached some pictures that I took of myself. Grandpa has his own camera but it uses “flash powder” and hurts my eyes. :( I was born from a plan that grandpa got free from Grizzly some years ago with an order. He has never used the plan because he never had an owner for me. Now he has a one-year old grandson whose initials are JET. :) That is why my name is TURBO.

As you will see, the platform for my introduction is an extension table for grandpa’s table saw. I will describe myself for you:

· My chapeau (hat) is a SMC original from le crique (Merci beaucoup Madam Jacqueline, et al). ;)
· My body is compliments of Francois du “Old” Mahogany.
· My legs, eye outlines and screw pegs came from Monsieur du “New” Mahogany.
· My thanks to Madam du Red Oak for my rockers, slats, mane, forelock and tail.
· Le Rouge WAL-MART contributed the materials for my bridle, my flirtatious eyes and my beautiful winner’s wreath du fleur (flowers). :D

Thank you for looking at my pictures and please do not find humor in the fact that my French may have a strong equestrian accent. :cool:

Lastly, RENDRE BOIS POUSSIERE!! ;)

Turbo T.

Dennis Peacock
08-25-2004, 9:03 PM
Very well done there Dale!!!!!! You did good on that horseeeee..!!! Gonna ride it into town now.!!! :eek: :D

Tyler Howell
08-25-2004, 9:09 PM
Yee Haa!
Definitely a Winners Circle Stead.;)

John Miliunas
08-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Hey, who's the French guy?! :confused: Well, whomever you are, that's a mighty fine ride you have there, pardner! :D Very nice job on the rocker, Dale! :cool:

Betsy Yocum
08-25-2004, 10:35 PM
Dale - The grandchild has something that he can have a ton of fun with and will probably give to his kids to enjoy as well - that's a keeper:)

I'm also jealous! I've always wanted to make a rocking horse - have tried several times but get lost on the angle of the legs next to the body.

Perhaps I'll try again after seeing your success!

You should be proud grandpa!

Jim Ketron
08-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Great Job Dale!

Hi Yo TURBO Away!!!
Jim

Alan Tolchinsky
08-25-2004, 11:37 PM
sacre blue excellent job!.. That looks like a lot of work and it all came out beautifully. Alan in Md.

Jim Becker
08-26-2004, 12:40 AM
You are a unique fellow, Turbo...and we love you anyway! Nice job on the horsie, too!

Keith Outten
08-26-2004, 6:20 AM
Nice Work Dale,

You gotta love building those wooden children.

If you ever decide to use hair for your rocking animals you can pick up single strand acrylic macrame cord and band about nine threads together with a short length of telephone wire at the ends. I usually drill a series of 3/8" staggered holes down the neck or about three for the tail. You simply drop about a quarter inch of yellow woodworkers glue into each hole then insert the end that is banded and force it into the glue. After an hour you can't pull the hair out of the holes.

David Wilson
08-26-2004, 8:48 AM
Dale
The horse looks great
Be very careful where you store that flash powder. DO NOT store in same cabinet with Watco.

Dan Smith
08-26-2004, 8:50 AM
Very nice Rocking Horse,

I have made similar from the same free plans that came with my Griz saw...

here is one of mine...

http://wreck-finder.com/WoodWorking/kozubalhorse1.jpg

wanna race them???

-dan

Kent Cori
08-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Dale,

Great looking horse and I'm sure that many children will enjoy Turbo greatly over the years. I made one for my son when he was still crawling. Twenty seven years later it is still in use (although not by him any longer :rolleyes: ).

One cautionary thought, make sure he doesn't leave a "deposit" on your table saw top! :D

Dan Mages
08-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Lookin good!! Thanks for the laugh and smile!

Dan

Kurt Aebi
08-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Maybe someone from Kentucky can host an SMC Kentucky Rocking Horse Derby!

Those horsies sure look great, I'm sure they'll see a lot of use!

Greeeaaaattt JOB!!!!!!!!

Merci! For Sharing!

Christian Aufreiter
08-26-2004, 6:45 PM
Hi Dale, hi Dan

very nice job. Thanks for posting.

Christian

Chris Padilla
08-26-2004, 7:10 PM
Hey Peshy,

Who took over your hands during the making of that fine, fine piece of children's memorbilia?? ;)

Jason Tuinstra
08-26-2004, 7:40 PM
Dale, way to go. I'm sure your grandson will love it for years to come, espeically when he's able to pass it on. Great job!

Gary Max
08-26-2004, 7:46 PM
Just had to add this pic----We love these horses

Dale Thompson
08-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Dale - The grandchild has something that he can have a ton of fun with and will probably give to his kids to enjoy as well - that's a keeper:)

I'm also jealous! I've always wanted to make a rocking horse - have tried several times but get lost on the angle of the legs next to the body.

Perhaps I'll try again after seeing your success!

You should be proud grandpa!

Hi Folks,
Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions. :) When I win the Triple Crown, I will remember who my friends REALLY are!! Lay down your bets and send your checks to my grandpa. He is a crook but he needs the money. ;)

Betsy, grandpa layed out the outline of my legs on the rectangular board and cut the leg/body angle first. He says it was easier to control the cut. AFTER the angle was cut on the bandsaw, he cut out the actual shape of my sexy legs. He still complains to me that it was a "tough" cut because he had to remember that there was a "right" side and a "left" side for both my front and rear legs. It should be easy for YOU but grandpa has a problem with his short, middle and long-term memory. :( GOOD LUCK and I hope to see you at the Derby! ;)

Thanks again to all!

Turbo :cool:

Dale Thompson
08-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Hey Peshy,

Who took over your hands during the making of that fine, fine piece of children's memorbilia?? ;)

Hi San Josey,
What an easy question! Just ask the person who gave you and your wife that beautiful angel who is, obviously, the "Light of Your Life". The fun thing is, Chris, I laughed at every mistake that I made and GOD laughed WITH me. HE'S GOT to have a sense of humor. ;) I'm a work in progress-REALLY slow. :o

Thanks for asking. :)

Dale T.

Jerry Olexa
08-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Now, hold your horses!! Seriously, great job! Your grandkids will have special memories!! Gallop on!:)