PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid Jointer Gloat

Dean Egnater
06-25-2009, 1:48 AM
Been in the market for a 6" jointer for a while, searched Craigslist et al. Last weekend I am at Home Despot and what do I see? JP0610 Jointer on sale for $320. Scooped it up and brought it home. Put on a set of locking castors where the feet were supposed to go and I am in business!

http://www.ridgid.com/assets/thumbnail.asp?path=/CatalogDocs/JP0610.jpg&key={37829B6E-5997-4112-919A-E85316CC404B}

Guy Germaine
06-25-2009, 7:48 AM
I've had that jointer for about 5 years, and it's done a great job for me. You'll enjoy having it. I'm actually thinking about getting a shelix cutter head for it.

Mike Parzych
06-25-2009, 8:18 AM
I've had one about 5 years too. Dead on set-up out of the box, and I've never had to touch the tables since. Knife changes are a breeze. I got a set of Freud knives for about $18 this year.

Prashun Patel
06-25-2009, 8:21 AM
That's a good price, but I just gotta do a hijack gloat here...

That same jointer was on sale at my local HD for $301. During their rebate sale, I got it for $225 at the counter. I still haven't set it up, though.

Clint Schlosser
06-25-2009, 9:02 AM
I actually got this jointer and the 12" planer for $200 on craigslist. I am going to purchase the helical cutter head with carbide inserts. I think you will be happy with this machine!

Doug Rogers
06-25-2009, 11:14 AM
I have the same jointer. I also used locking casters, but I made a base out of 3/4" plywood. I made the base slightly longer and wider than the jointer. I moved the casters out about 2". The casters are attached to the plywood and the jointer is fastened to the plywood through the foot holes. This gave me a lot more stability.

Greg L. Brown
07-26-2009, 12:28 PM
I've had my eye on this jointer at HD for over a year now. It never drops below $399. I even told one of the guys to call me if it does (he assured me it NEVER drops below $399).

I never, ever find deals like this at HD. In fact, it's "on sale" right now for $399 (down from $429.... ooooh big price drop HD!).

Do you guys just call every so often to check if it's on sale? Seems like a steal for anything less than $350. And what's this rebate thing? I never get the 10% HD coupons and I never see rebates on these bigger tools.

Thanks

glenn bradley
07-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Dean, Congrats on the jointer.

Shawn, Congrats on the buzz-kill.

Greg, have you created a username and password account online at HD? I get stuff from them all the time in emails. The BORGs do seem to vary greatly by area. I've walked off with some great deals; two batteries and a charger for my De Walt drill . . . $10, the Ridgid MSUV for $90 and such. However, there have been many deals shown here that even with a reproduction of the lucky member's receipt, my BORGs won't match.

John Shuk
07-26-2009, 1:18 PM
Good price. That is a great jointer. I've had mine for about 6 years and it is a very nice machine. No complaints.

Prashun Patel
07-26-2009, 8:29 PM
Greg, it's been my experience that HD's randomly clear out stock for no apparent (to me) reason. I had been eyeing the jointer for about a year. I don't think they sold a single one during that time, bkz the same box was sitting there forever. Eventually, they marked it down.

You gotta get lucky. I almost never do, so don't feel bad.

You shld also check ebay for reconditioned Rigid tools. I got a great deal on the Osc Spindle sander there.

Greg L. Brown
07-26-2009, 9:43 PM
Yeah, I think it's just luck. I should sign up online though, that was a good suggestion.

Thanks,
Greg

Justin McCarthy
07-26-2009, 10:29 PM
I've had my eye on this jointer at HD for over a year now. It never drops below $399. I even told one of the guys to call me if it does (he assured me it NEVER drops below $399).

I never, ever find deals like this at HD. In fact, it's "on sale" right now for $399 (down from $429.... ooooh big price drop HD!).

Do you guys just call every so often to check if it's on sale? Seems like a steal for anything less than $350. And what's this rebate thing? I never get the 10% HD coupons and I never see rebates on these bigger tools.

Thanks

Greg, it's my understanding that you can go down to the post office and request a moving kit (I think that's what they call them) - inside you will find a 10% off coupon for HD.

At 399 - 10% = 359.10.

Greg L. Brown
07-28-2009, 2:30 PM
Thanks, great tip!

-Greg

Prashun Patel
07-29-2009, 8:24 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=117073

Dean Egnater
10-04-2009, 4:38 PM
For the record....putting casters in place of the factory feet did NOT work...made the tool very tippy. I milled some 2 x 4's and spread the casters out to the full depth of the tool and added a bag of sand in the base....works great now

Tom Adger
10-04-2009, 6:39 PM
Go back and read Doug Rogers post about putting a base on the corners which moves it out. I did this, and I have had no problems with tipping. I used 2x4's, and added some casters.

frank shic
10-04-2009, 10:43 PM
btw, if you ever want to joint material that's wider than 6 1/8", i found out that you can easily bash the metallic pin in so that you can joint without the blade guard although YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL when you do this.

Mike Bosdet
10-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Here out west, where trees are few and BORG clearances are fewer, the final clearance price on the JP0610 was $107!!!! I don't PERSONALLY know anyone who got it at that price; I snagged mine for $214 and was very happy. I built my own mobile base with 2x4s but need to extend the wheels on the back side due to the extra weight of the fence.

Haven't run that much through it yet but so far I've been pleased with the results.

Christopher Fletcher
10-08-2009, 2:03 PM
Here out west, where trees are few and BORG clearances are fewer, the final clearance price on the JP0610 was $107!!!! I don't PERSONALLY know anyone who got it at that price; I snagged mine for $214 and was very happy. I built my own mobile base with 2x4s but need to extend the wheels on the back side due to the extra weight of the fence.

Haven't run that much through it yet but so far I've been pleased with the results.
I bought 2 at that price and sold 1 on CL for $225....Paid for my brand new jointer!!!!!

Chris Tsutsui
10-08-2009, 2:26 PM

Here's the $107 one with picture proof.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=120005 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=120005)

Now that I think about it, I should have bought it for $107, what was I thinking... :o heh