PDA

View Full Version : I'm having some trouble with this nobex champion saw

Larry Rasmussen
06-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Hope that wiser folks will provide some advice. I have had the same problem with other hand saws I've used occasionally. The blade does not glide over the wood, it sticks and I have to force it along to get it moving. Tried some white oak 1X2, fir or hemlock 1X2 from ripping 2X4. Oh yeah a 1X4 nominal piece of red oak. The oak was bad enough that the cut was not 90 degrees top to bottom.

I got it mostly for trim, some of which will be hardwood. I don't get this problem with alot of the japanese style saws I use but sometimes it happens. I assume it's a mismatch with the tooth style or coarseness and the wood. Is a 1X4 piece of oak just too much for this miter saw? Stock is about 16tpi (comes with saw) and 24tpi and a 10tpi. I believe it ships with the 16 tpi blade. I have one of the 16 tpi japanese blades coming that I think will be fine based on what I've read here but I'd like to learn how to use this saw. It looks great for compound miters for crown molding but what a struggle. I did try a little soap to lubricate. No difference.

Ideas welcome

Thanks,
Larry Rasmussen
Seattle

Bill Houghton
06-24-2009, 10:52 PM
older ones having a better rep.

Sounds like the set's inadequate, so the saw's binding. I'd see if you can find a good local sharpener, or go to a garage sale, buy a $1 saw, then get or make sharpening tools and learn to sharpen on the $1 saw; then tackle the Nobex saw.

But I'm just speculating here. Others with more wisdom will no doubt join the conversation soon.

Larry Rasmussen
06-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Mostly from another product from them, a little guide for Japanese saws I got that was off about 2 non adjustable degrees. For $139 I did not expect the best. The casting quality and liberal use of plastic parts was a bit disconcerting but everything went together really well on assembly and the compound miter I tried out would have been spot on except that I had to struggle. I don't think it was just the set. I'm withholding judgement about the castings and material quality. Would there be a point in having a $175 version that looked better but cut the same? Thanks for reply.

Larry R
Seattle