PDA

View Full Version : My first jewlery box (all by my little self) gloat

Betsy Yocum
08-25-2004, 7:47 PM
Just took a class at American Sycamore Woodworkers Retreat in Indiana - took Fine Box Making with Tom Laird. What a deal!!!. I learned a ton - and I was able to replicate what I learned at home all by my little self!!! :D

This is my first box that I've done at home. I've not decided on the color of flocking for the inside - I'm leaning towards brown as I think red would take away from the bloodwood on the lid.

If there is anything you see that you think I could do better - I'd appreciate the input. This forum is great for giving good advice!:)

Alan Tolchinsky
08-25-2004, 7:52 PM
Hi Betsy, That's a very nice box. I like the contrasting woods, the split top, and the splines. Great job!! What finish did you use on it? Alan in Md.

Greg Mann
08-25-2004, 7:53 PM
If there is anything you see that you think I could do better - I'd appreciate the input. This forum is great for giving good advice!:)
Betsy,

It's obvious to everyone that the towel doesn't go with the tile at all!
That is very nice! Very clever. Keep it up and you'll be the one doing the teaching.

Greg

Shelley Bolster
08-25-2004, 7:58 PM
Top marks for you "homework" project Betsy!! Looks beautiful and really cool how it opens. Congrats of the picture posting - now we need to see more!

Doug Jones
08-25-2004, 8:02 PM
Way cool,,, I like everything about it. For a first its a job very well done.

Dennis Peacock
08-25-2004, 8:04 PM
Most Excellent Betsy!!!!!! Very well done and I'm proud of ya.!!!!! :D

Betsy Yocum
08-25-2004, 8:07 PM
Thanks folks -

Alan the finish is just one coat of tung oil. I plan on putting on several more coats.

Greg - unfortunately for me the towel is nicer than the tile - its bright pink! yikes - its an original 50's room that I've not updated yet! I've never seen so much pink in one room!

Thanks again - hopefully I can get some of my vacation pictures posted.

Betsy

Greg Mann
08-25-2004, 8:14 PM
Thanks folks -

Greg - unfortunately for me the towel is nicer than the tile - its bright pink! yikes - its an original 50's room that I've not updated yet! I've never seen so much pink in one room!

Betsy
Betsy, We have a pink bathroom too, but not so bright. 80's version. You should've seen the wallpaper we removed when we moved in. Yuck!:rolleyes:

Tung oil, eh? Very nice, and easy, too.

Greg

Greg Tatum
08-25-2004, 8:14 PM
Looks great....IMHO, I don't think brown flocking would look good; but since my wife says I have no color scense, I could be wrong :) Maybe you could flock some cloth swatches with different colors and tuck 'em in the compartments to compare.

Greg

Alan Tolchinsky
08-25-2004, 8:18 PM
[QUOTE=Betsy Yocum]Thanks folks -

Alan the finish is just one coat of tung oil. I plan on putting on several more coats.

Cool Betsy, I think you are right on about the brown flocking. Brown will be a nice contrast with the lighter wood there and is picked up by the darker wood. My wife has taught me a thing or two about color matching and I don't argue with her anymore. :) Alan

Betsy Yocum
08-25-2004, 8:20 PM
Greg - the tung oil is my stand by - I really have little knowledge of finishing - but I'm learning - I've used waterlok which is pretty good - and probably would have used it on this box - but I did not have it on hand. So it's tung oil.

Greg - you probably have better color sense than my two roommates - they want the flocking to be kelly green. YIKES!!!

Betsy

Jim Becker
08-25-2004, 8:21 PM
Very kewel box, Betsy! I really like the swingin' doors!!!! Thanks for posting and keep 'em coming!

Tyler Howell
08-25-2004, 9:20 PM
Very Cool Betsy, Love the contrast and blend of materials.
The Pink is suppose to be very calming. That's why the fifties were so mellow:cool: ;)

Dick Parr
08-25-2004, 9:24 PM
Very nice Betsy and I also like the swinging lid, I would have posted sooner but I didn't want to be lucky #13. :rolleyes:

Jerry Todd
08-25-2004, 9:54 PM
Most Excellent!!

Betsy Yocum
08-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Very Cool Betsy, Love the contrast and blend of materials.
The Pink is suppose to be very calming. That's why the fifties were so mellow:cool: ;)
Tyler - the people who built this house must have been super mellow - I don't think Sherwin Williams has this much pink!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the kudo's - I learned a lot on my woodworking vacation - but I've picked up some great tips on the forum as well. :)

Spence DePauw
08-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Betsy, did Tom do that style box in the class or is it your idea? That a really cool top design, and very well executed!

Spence

Betsy Yocum
08-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Spence - the box I did here was from a book by David M. Freedman - he borrowed the design from Will Wipperfurth. I'm afraid that I'm not to artistic on my own for first projects - after I get a few under my belt - then I start branching out on my own. However, I don't think I would have tried this box had I not learned what I did in Tom's class. He taught a lot about precision that I've been able to take back to my shop.

I've attached a picture of all the boxes we did in Tom's class.

Spence DePauw
08-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Yup, those look like the ones I remember. Tom does do some very precise and beautiful work. Lots of good technique.

Spence

Betsy Yocum
08-25-2004, 10:56 PM
Yep - Tom does a good class - I'm actually going to take another class from him and Mike Van Pelt next week - cabinets. I'm looking forward to learning as much this next trip as I did on the first.

Jim Ketron
08-25-2004, 11:26 PM
Great job!
Jim

Jack Young
08-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Betsy-

It's gorgeous. I suggest a flocking about the same color as the bloodwood. That would track the color schema nicely and not introduce an unneeded one.

And you successfully negotiated your way through the posting quandary you mentioned on another thread. Congrats. You're my kind of guy.

Jack

Kurt Aebi
08-26-2004, 6:53 AM
Great Job, Betsy!

You should be proud. I especially like the swing open top.

Thanks for sharing.

Jason Tuinstra
08-26-2004, 9:41 AM
Betsy, very nice box. The lid is very creative! Thanks for showing it off!

Kent Cori
08-26-2004, 9:57 AM
Betsy,

Your fine box is both beautiful and very well executed. I wish my first attempts would turn out half as well as yours. :o

Betsy Yocum
08-26-2004, 1:22 PM
Thanks Kent - that first attempt usually does not turn out so well. But I've learned not to hurry the process so much and that's helped a lot. I get excited about a project and want it done NOW! So I've really had to learn to slow down.
But I think with the sucess of this project - I've learned slow is good.:)

Mike Scoggins
08-26-2004, 1:38 PM
Betsy,

I like the box; very nice. I also like the "swinging doors" for the lid. Can you elaborate on the "hinges" for them (i.e. how they're attached, held in place, etc.)?

Thanks,
Mike

Ian Barley
08-26-2004, 2:26 PM
Betsy

Lovely box - nice design very well executed.

Regards

Ian

Michael Stafford
08-26-2004, 4:07 PM
I like lining my boxes with materials other than flocking. For instance crushed velvet, ultrasuede or other silky shiny fabrics that you might find at a sewing store. I cut poster board about a 16th smaller in each direction and then pieces of my chosen fabric about an inch larger in each direction. Spray the posterboard with a spray adhesive (lightly) and center it in the inverted fabric section. After it dries miter the fabric corner so they can be folded over and stick them in place with some double-sided tape and voila you a nice liner for your box. A nice snug pressure fit is what you are looking for so that the posterboard doe not wrinkle. Keep up the good work. Box making is addictive and great fun. :D

Michael Stafford
08-26-2004, 4:12 PM
Betsy, P.S. Some greens really look good with certain woods. I am partial to dark blue-greens for a lot of my boxes.

Lou Morrissette
08-26-2004, 7:51 PM
Great work, Betsy. Must be a fine school.

Betsy Yocum
08-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Mike - I really like the fabric idea - sure would be more choices in colors and would certainly be less messy than flocking - I might think that direction - thanks for the idea ---

Mike - the hinge is simply a 1/8" brass rod from the hobby shop - it's best to use a solid rod - I couldn't find a solid one so I've used a hollow one and filled it with rock hard putty to give it more umph. The hardest part is getting the holes for the rod to line up. I found it easiest to cut the lid oversized and - I drilled a 1/8" about 1/2 in on the corner - you have to be careful - it's easy to break the miter - drill it about 3/8' deep --- then use a cutoff nail in the hole - place the lid on and press it onto the nail - then drill the lid at that point - should give you a good fit - then trim the lid to fit to make it perfect.

It's a fun box to make - it's choosing the color for the insert that drives me buggy!:)

Betsy

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
08-26-2004, 10:40 PM
As good as they come, Betsy. Hope to see more of your work.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-26-2004, 10:48 PM
Great work Betsy! Thanks for sharing the info about the hinge!