PDA

View Full Version : 490 Guard removal/install

alex grams
06-24-2009, 3:52 PM
So i took the guard off of the jointer to clean up, plane some wide boards, and can't seem to figure out how to put the thing back on with the spring tensioned so that it pulls itself back over the blade.

Am i missing some obvious trick to do this? Do you tension the spring and hold it while you place it on the jointer? Is there a trick to tension it after you have it put back on the jointer?

glenn bradley
06-24-2009, 3:56 PM
Its in your manual, page 18: http://www.grizzly.com/images/manuals/g0490_m.pdf

alex grams
06-24-2009, 9:51 PM
thanks. I ran over that at work, but i guess my eager eyes or the small screen on my laptop made me glance past it

However, there wasn't anything in there about tightening the spring. The setscrew at the bottom just dictates the hard stops at each end of the swing. To tighten the tension on the spring you have to hold the center screw with an alan wrench along with the porkchop, then use a large pair of pliers or vice-grips to rotate the flat head of the piece (the black part shown on top in the figure under his hand), then once you get an acceptable level of springback, tighten the top thru-bolt down.