PDA

View Full Version : Shop Things, Part One

Ken Garlock
08-25-2004, 7:16 PM
I thought I would share what has happened with the shop since I last posted some pictures of it.

First off, I posted a thread several weeks ago about the Argiope spiders that are out this year. Here is a pic of one at the corner of the shop:

The next couple are of the cyclone dust collector, a work in progress

See part two for the new toy :)

Sam Chambers
08-25-2004, 7:25 PM
Ken:

How big is that spider? It's not as big as it appears when compared to the bricks, is it? He/she/it looks menacing enough even it it's a small one. (Don't like spiders...)

Ken Garlock
08-25-2004, 7:30 PM
Ken:

How big is that spider? It's not as big as it appears when compared to the bricks, is it? He/she/it looks menacing enough even it it's a small one. (Don't like spiders...)

Not too big, Sam.

With the legs spread out, it might be 2 or 2 1/4 inches toe to toe. The body on the females, which this is, are about 3/4 to 1 inch long. They are fun to watch so long as they are outside. The color is black with yellow stripes. They weave what is called an orb web -- circular.

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-26-2004, 1:31 AM
I've always called those 'Charlotte' spiders...not sure why. They're about the only kind of spider I leave alone, because they pretty much stay in their web...they're not scooting around sneaking up on you.

KC

Ken Garlock
08-26-2004, 1:38 AM
I've always called those 'Charlotte' spiders...not sure why. They're about the only kind of spider I leave alone, because they pretty much stay in their web...they're not scooting around sneaking up on you.

KC

Kirk, I can see why you call them that. That reminded me of reading Charlotte's Web to the kids one summer. There were parts where I was laughing so hard, I couldn't read :) It is a must for every parent to read to their young'ns, both of you will enjoy it.

Jack Wood
08-26-2004, 7:59 AM
That is a "Black and Yellow Argiope", commonly called a garden spider. They are very benificial spiders and if you find them around your house, I wouldn't want one in my house, they are best left alone to do the great job of catching garden pest. In Europe it is considered good luck to have a spider like this living near your house. In fact you can buy large metal spiders to mount to your outside walls. So consider your self lucky and enjoy the beauty of this helpful arachnid! :)

Ken Garlock
08-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Hi Jack. You hit it on the nose. They are fun to watch. I found a small grasshopper and put it in the web and the old girl was on it in about 2 seconds, and had it totally wrapped in silk in another 4 seconds.

However, this morning I found an orb web stretching across the patio where we walk, now that one has to come down. :eek:

Brian Matthews
08-26-2004, 2:49 PM
Man,

That photo is proof of the one main things I love about living in the great white north. We don't get anything that size here!!

As far as I am concerned, you southern folks got a nasty infestation problem down there. You can have your warm winters, warm summers, warm springs, warm autumns. No way could I live anywhere there were monsters like that.

Don't even get me started on Australia. Snakes, no prob, but damn those giant spiders..

Yuck,
Brian

Mike Wilkins
08-26-2004, 2:57 PM
Since I don't like spiders, I have my own theory on why there are here:
God did not create spiders; they were dropped on this planet by alien beings
from another world. That's how gruesome they are.

Chris Padilla
08-26-2004, 4:14 PM
Repeat all you arachinphobes: "Most spiders are our friends!" They do catch a lot of pest but my wife would agree with some of you. I'm the one that needs to kill every spider she finds in our house. If she does it, the spider becomes a permanent part of the wall and I'm tired of painting over 'em...

Russell Dyess
08-29-2004, 1:56 PM
Ken,
Is that a home made cyclone dust collector? If so, what plans did you use.:)

David Wilson
08-29-2004, 4:44 PM
Ken
Nice spider. Are they piosoness?

Ken Garlock
08-29-2004, 6:40 PM
Russell, the cyclone is from a kit produced by Clarke Echoles and uses Bill Pentz's design. You can find out about the kit at clean shop air (http://www.cleanshopair.com/) As it hangs it is very very noisy, like 102 DB noisy per my el-cheapo Radio Shack audio meter. :eek: I think it will quiet down somewhat when hooked up the filters and piping to the equipment. :)

David, it is my understanding that all spiders are poisonous to some degree. As far as I know, the Argiope is not harmful to humans.

Mike Cutler
08-29-2004, 8:11 PM
Nice Spider, and nice Cyclone also Ken. Wow! there are some serious spider phobias going on around here. I've never really paid them to much attention. I know that they are benificial insects so I tend to just leave them be. So far no worries for me.
Now as to the comment on the snakes in Oz Brian. There are some damn lethal snakes down under. 8 of the top 10, and the 5 most venemous in the world. ( Info from the reptile center matrix board at the Zoo across the harbor from Sydney). At the top of the heap is the Tapei. This bad boy is 50 times more deadly than a cobra, is agressive, fast, and diurnal. I'll take the spider any day.
Post some pics of the shop when you're done Ken, It seems to be nice