PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy leveling screws and accompanying "sleeves"?

Zach England
06-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Can anyone advise where to buy these, ala the ones used to level router table inserts or table saw inserts?

Roger Jensen
06-24-2009, 2:04 AM
Not sure what you mean by "sleeves". Are you looking for a plate leveler like this? http://www.kregtool.com/products/prs/product.php?PRODUCT_ID=98

Roger

Curt Harms
06-24-2009, 6:34 AM
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1048&productid=12J20&mode=details#tabs. Any woodworking store will have them and I wouldn't be surprised if hardware stores have them as well. For light stress applications like table inserts, you can drill an undersized hole directly into the wood and tap it. You don't have to get the inserts and in my experience leveling screws have some resistance to being turned when screwed into wooden threads. You don't want the leveling screws to turn too easily.

HTH

Curt

glenn bradley
06-24-2009, 7:21 AM
Like Curt, I thread 1/4" x 3/8" long hex screws right into the 1/2" BB ply I use for TS inserts. No problems. I'll assume your router plate has no levelers built in so something like the Kregs would be long lasting. That being said, I used Confirmat screws threaded up from below (through the rabbet lip) to level my old Rockler plates for years without issue.

Guy Belleman
06-24-2009, 7:52 AM
Lowes and HD, usually in the special pull out drawers in the hardware area. file:///C:/Users/Mom/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgI just drill the holes almost the same size and they fit in just fine. No special inserts needed, put 'em right into the wood. Usually rub in a little paste wax on the threads before embedding it. The saw inserts are usually about half inch, so I get inserts that are about 3/8" long. All types of set screws are available: alloy, stainless steel, or even nylon.

A quick search turned up this site that shows the pictures of the various types: http://www.smallparts.com/b/16410581/ref=amb_link_6206262_43?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_r=1SJDJ29KQQE0TC74R07W&pf_rd_p=439168501&pf_rd_i=507846&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_m=AIUBT5HP6PMAF&pf_rd_t=101&searchRank=salesrank&gclid=CNKY2-fpopsCFRFMagodhnEvBg

Good luck

Gideon Robertson
06-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Set screws are perfect for this. In fact, the factory Jet throat plate on my saw uses set screws to level it. I bought a couple of set screws at HD, but found them to be terribly expensive. If you are planning on building multiple throat plates (e.g. various dado widths, etc), it may be worth the time to buy them from McMaster-Carr. If you search for "standard socket set screw" on their website, you'll find lots of options. I bought 1/2" long, 1/4"-20 Cup Point Socket Set Screws and am very happy with them. IIRC, you can get 100 at McMaster-Carr for the price of 10 at HD...

Curt Harms
06-24-2009, 2:17 PM
If you REALLY wanted to cheap out, you could countersink a hole in the bottom of the insert then screw a 3/8" flat head wood screw into the countersink so it's flush. Back the wood screw out as required to level the insert. Many ways to defur this feline:D.

Zach England
06-24-2009, 7:10 PM
Thanks. Apparently they are far more ubiquitous than I had thought--I was just using the wrong search terms.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-24-2009, 9:51 PM
Zack...those rascals are available at my local Ace Hardware.